Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldManJimbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
California Coast
I had not ever thought about this, but a conversation at the Apple Store in San Diego has me wondering -

How do I go about determining if my PowerBook G4 (1ghz) has a USB 2.0 or 1.1?

The reason I ask - I was looking for a FireWire cord for my iPod, and the guy at store said I didn't need it because USB 2.0 was "just as fast" as FireWire. When I questioned him on that and suggested that FireWaire seemed to be much faster than the USB port, he said I probably did not have USB 2.0.

At this point, I am more curious than anything else - so, how do I determine which version of USB I have on my Mac?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
USB 2.0 is theoritcally FASTER then FireWire 400 (is theoretically fast).

However, USB works on burst, so for sustained speeds, for large file transfers, it's not as fast.

To determine if you have USB 2.0, do you have FireWire 800? If not, you don't have USB 2.0.

Or, open System Profiler and choose USB, click on USB Bus (the 2nd one) and look at the "Speed:" listing. "up to 12Mb/sec" is USB 1.1.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
I agree with iGary as my nano is slower to put my iTunes stuff on than my mini with FW, same songs, USB 2.0 vs FW. The FW every time is faster, so he doesn't really know what he is saying to be nice ;)
Try plugging in a mouse then go to the blue Apple in the menu bar. Click on it, then on about this Mac, then on more info, then usb and see what it says.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
yellow said:
USB 2.0 is theoritcally FASTER then FireWire 400 (is theoretically fast).

However, USB works on burst, so for sustained speeds, for large file transfers, it's not as fast.

To determine if you have USB 2.0, do you have FireWire 800? If not, you don't have USB 2.0.

Yep - this model:

CPU
CPU: PowerPC 7447
CPU Speed: 1.0/1.25 GHz
FPU: integrated
Bus Speed: 166 MHz
Data Path: 64 bit
ROM: 1 MB ROM + 3 MB toolbox ROM loaded into RAM
RAM Type: PC2700 DDR
Minimum RAM Speed: 333 MHz
Onboard RAM: 0 MB
RAM slots: 2
Maximum RAM: 2 GB
Level 1 Cache: 32 kB data, 32 kB instruction
Level 2 Cache: 512 kB onchip, 1:1
Expansion Slots: 1 PC Card (Type I or II)

Video
Screen: 15" active matrix TFT
Monitor: 24 bit 1280x854
Video Card/Chipset: ATI Mobility Radeon 9600
VRAM: 64 MB
Video Out: DVI, S-Video

Storage
Hard Drive: 60/80 GB 4200 RPM
ATA Bus: ATA-100
Optical Drive: 24x/24x/10x/8x CD-RW/DVD-ROM or 24x/16x/4x/8x/2x/1x CD-RW/DVD-RW

Input/Output
USB: 2 2.0
Firewire: 1
Firewire800: 1
Audio Out: 16 bit stereo mini
Audio In: 16 bit stereo mini
Speaker: stereo
Microphone: mono

OldManJimbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
California Coast
yellow said:
Or, open System Profiler and choose USB, click on USB Bus (the 2nd one) and look at the "Speed:" listing. "up to 12Mb/sec" is USB 1.1.

OK - so I have USB 1.1.

Hmm - I am able to recharge various items through this port, and I was under the impression that only USB 2.0 would charge batteries. I guess I was wrong about that.

Is there any way (or is it worth the effort) to upgrade my 1.1 to the higher version?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
There is no way. The logic board would have to be completely replaced, and 1) there's no way to make a NEWER one fit and 2) it would be prohibitively expensive if you COULD put another logic board in there.

OldManJimbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
California Coast
yellow said:
There is no way.

Well, that was easy. If there's no way, then I needn't worry about any longer. I'll just need to wait until the magic money fairy drops some extra $$ in my lap and I'm able to buy that shiny new PowerMac I played with this weekend at the Apple store.

Thanks for your (quick) help.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Stick with FireWire for your iPod unless you have a 5G or Nano. If you have a 15" or 17" model and you need USB2.0 then just get a PC Card for now.

OldManJimbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
California Coast
I have the 12" G4 - so I'll stay with what I have.

It's nice when the door is slammed tight - if there's NO WAY to do this then I can quit even thiniing about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.