Usb 2.0 update

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by paddy, Sep 7, 2005.

1. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Hi,
    I'm running a 15" flat panel g4 iMac and I want to buy a iPod Nano. My problem is that i need Usb 2.0 to run it which I don't have. Is there any way of updating my Usb 1.1 ports to 2.0? If not would it be possible to use a firewire cable on the iPod Nano?

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

there's no way to update your ports, sorry.

I notice though that the Nano is compatible witht he dock, whcih uses firewire. I think that would work. you could call up the apple store to confirm.

3. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'm pretty sure that anything that uses USB2 can also use USB1 (with the exception of things that require a constant transfer rate, like a CD burner or audio interface), so even if it weren't FireWire ready, which it apparently is, you could use it...

...you just wouldn't want to, since it'd be painfully slow--filling a 2GB iPod using a 1.5MB/s connection would take over 20 minutes at the theoretical minimum. That's why the original iPods were FireWire-only, and why the new ones are USB2-recommended.

5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

6. numanuma macrumors newbie

FireWire

Paddy the Firewire should work fine for you and if not... im sure theres an extension outt there for it... heres a link to the nano...
    http://images.apple.com/ipodnano/

hope i could help...
    regards