usb 2.0 using firewire?!?!?!?!?!? :-?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Bunzi2k4, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Bunzi2k4 macrumors 6502

i've been looking for either a firewire/usb2.0 hub lately, and i haven't found any good ones... i want to plug a firewire cable in and get usb 2.0... is that possible? is there a way for that to happen? i've herd that the ipod usb 2.0 could work... but does it? i dunno... does any1 have any ideas? or should i just give up?

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Converting Firewire to USB is not possible AFAIK.

3. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

you can't convert FW to USB or vice versa.

they are completely different interfaces.

ipod works with both FW and USB2 because the interface on the ipod itself is designed to accomodate both. it doesn't mean ipod is "converting" FW into USB2, so to speak.

by the way, could i ask what you are trying to do? it's possible that you phrased the question a little differently than you intended.

4. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

Re: usb 2.0 using firewire?!?!?!?!?!? :-?

-Bunzi2k4

Well, of course it's possible, but both require their own specific chipsets, and while possible to interface the two for serial protocol translation, the cost of development and the device itself would not be worth it as the throughput would be gutted in the translation.

5. Bunzi2k4 thread starter macrumors 6502

sry i was in a rush last night... i found an error yesterday in my OS, so i figured i should back up my games, anime ect. I have this 40 gig usb hard drtive... and its soo slow. i need to transfer about... 3 gigs to my hard drive and sometimes it gets errors ect.... but that's ok i guess... my sister is about to get a 15" Pb so i can restart and hold t... and then transfer from her comp...

6. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

yeah, that's tough. the problem with your case is that there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. your machine will only put out 1.1 Mbps through the USB port...

wait until your sister gets the 15". use the target mode to extract data on your computer to hers via FW, then dump that data to HD via USB2.

that said, 3 GB isn't that much... do you have a DVD burner? that's one DVD and a bit...? or 4 CDR's??

7. Bunzi2k4 thread starter macrumors 6502

hmm... is there a firewire/usb 2.0 hub? i thought i saw one... but the input was usb... whatever i'll just wait a few months... thanks guys

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you look at the new external FW800 devices you'll see that quite a few of them also have USB2.0 -- this is because the Oxford 922 chipset support the conversion of USB2.0/FW800/etc. to ATA/serial/computer bus

So a device may only need another cable.

---

If you get and older Oxford 911 or the newer FW800 capable 912 device they basically support FW to ATA only.

The hubs are just pass through devices that multiply the number of ports (and supply more power). No conversion capabilities.

9. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

Is this a 40 gb external hd with usb 1? if so then there is no way to transfer the files other than through the usb connection that is built into the drive. having something convert to connection to firewire wouldn't increase transfer speeds any because the speeds would still be limited by the hard drive's usb output.

10. Bunzi2k4 thread starter macrumors 6502