Usb 2.0

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by sparkleytone, Jan 9, 2002.

1. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

i was just wondering if anyone out there is using any USB 2.0 devices.

If so, what has been your experience so far with them concerning performance, compatibility, cost effectiveness, etc. ???

USB 2.0 just seems like a cheap firewire imitation to me, but I keep an open mind and am willing to give it a chance if i see some positive responses.

2. F/reW/re macrumors 6502

F/reW/re

Firewire (IEEE 1394) runs at 400 Mbps.
    USB 2 runs at 480 Mbps.

At least they are supposed to. Doesn`t that male USB better than Firewire? You can also connect far more devices to USb than Firewire.

3. Unregistered Guest

the differencei s that USB requires a computer...firewire doesn't in the near future you may be able to plug a DV cam directly into an ipod to free up some space onto that sweet portable drive that also happens to play music...I think this may be a large part of the digital devices apple is looking itno in the future...also firewire will be upgraded soon, but I think firewire will always be the media solution and usb 2.0 will continue to be used for what it is sued for today, but eventually peripherals will need the transfer speed of 2.0 imagine trying to print an picture that is 15 megapixels...it iwll happen soon enough...mark my word</prophecy>

4. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

I have a 2.0 PCI card. It works great. The onely thing is I don thave any 2.0 devices. I got it because I hatted using my USB hups. I have 2 of them and chaining them together ment some proformance problems.

5. tw9876z macrumors member

6. Limbo macrumors newbie

Ima pretty sure that USB 2.0 has a completly different interface than USB 1.0, so that would obviously cut down the compatibility. wouldn't you think? ;)

7. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

no

ITs the same interface as 1.0. USB 2.0 is compleetly backward compatable. I have a USB 2.0 PCI card. I got it really so I could get away from using USB hubs (as I posted above) I dont even have any USB 2.0 devices. All my USB 1.0 devices work just fine with my PCI card.

8. nerveosu macrumors member

USB 2.0

can you get usb 2 to work on a mac? What is a good card to buy for a tower? If USB 2 is 480 what was USB1.1?

9. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

I got...

I got the "IOGEAR 5 Port USB 2.0 PCI Card "

It was the best deal with the most number or ports at the time when I got it. 4 external and 1 internal.

Here is a link to outpost:

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/2978925

its selling for $50 right now... but I got it for like $40 I think.

So far it has worked out great for me. No drivers needed at all. Works with OS 9 and OS X. Remeber... you only get 480mb when you plug in a USB 2.0 device. You sill get only 12 mb with USB 1.1 devisces. I have been using it for like 6 months.

USB 1.1 is 12 mb to answer your other question.

10. samy85114 macrumors regular

I,ve got a question for you
    I,M wondering is this useful? AS far as I know, there's not a lot of Usb 2.0 device on the market at this moment, but I could be wrong... and i guess that's why Apple is not expecting to integrate this new protocol on their computers, such as Firewire 2 known as Gigawire! What a great name! isn't it ? :)

11. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

I personlay like FireWire

I personaly like FireWire.. but the faster the USB is the better. USB 2.0 is backward compatable so it cant hurt to use it. Your right in that there are at least a hand full of USB 2.0 devices out there. FireWire is still much more popular. And USB 2.0 came out too late :-( Now that FireWire2.0 is comming soon at speeds of 800mb/sec. USB 2.0 maye be resurved for low bandwith devices like printers, scanners, and Digigal Cameras. (relitively low bandwith) But I dont know... we well have to see how it alll works out. I bet Apple will put USB 2.0 in their systems when FireWire 2.0 is ready. They did invent FireWire and I dought that they would want us to get used to using USB 2.0 and then not make the change over to FireWire2.0 when it comes out.

12. samy85114 macrumors regular

Pc have a long way to go !

Firewire pretty cool, when this came out , well almost 4 years ago, that was revolutionary, so fast we had never seen this before, and best of all, had been developped by Apple.

WE'll see in the next few month, just to see if these second versions will come out soon, I hope! That's going to push this company a little more further. They are already far away from those pc company. These have a long way to go!

Gigawire and Usb2 what a great mix!

13. sparkleytone thread starter macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

USB 2.0 devices are coming in a big influx. Believe me i know i work at CompUSA.

Pretty much all the firewire CDRW's are being discontinued in favor or USB 2.0, but at the same time, if they dont sell well they will go right back to firewire.

I like the backwards compatibilities and believe me i know speed ratings, that wasnt what i was asking.

What i wanted to know was customer satisfaction with USB 2.0 devices and performance issues and concerns.

Speed ratings mean nothing to me, as everything is a numbers game. Rated at 480mbps blahblahblah. Yeah you saw those 1.3GHz celerons right?? LOL. I want practical and tangible evidence, not theory.