Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2003
I have a 15" TiBook (1 GHz) - it's awesome, but there's no USB 2. That has been a problem till just now - I'm about to get a scanner (which I have another thread about), but USB 1.1 is slow. So, I decided to look around for a USB 2 PCMCIA Card. So far, this is the best:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/digi4me/trca2pcusb20.html

What do you think? I checked to make sure it had powered ports (which it does) so devices that don't have power adapters (such as mice and hubs) can run work properly on the go.

Does this look like a good pick? Any recommendations for other products? I especially like this one because it has the necessary features for only $20!

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Looks like a great buy... OS X drivers and all. The only warning I have is don't try to power more than one mouse or keyboard off of the card (although why you would use USB2 for input devices is beyond me). The cardbus slot can only provide so much power, and usually its not enough for large drain devices, which can damage the devices.

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2003
crazzyeddie said:
Looks like a great buy... OS X drivers and all. The only warning I have is don't try to power more than one mouse or keyboard off of the card (although why you would use USB2 for input devices is beyond me). The cardbus slot can only provide so much power, and usually its not enough for large drain devices, which can damage the devices.

The things I would need power for include a hub and the SD-USB device. The mouse was just an example - my mouse is actually bluetooth.

Thanks for the warning. So does this mean I should only allow one powered device to be plugged in at a time, or one of the same type of powered device to be plugged in at a time?

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
titaniumducky said:
The things I would need power for include a hub and the SD-USB device. The mouse was just an example - my mouse is actually bluetooth.

Thanks for the warning. So does this mean I should only allow one powered device to be plugged in at a time, or one of the same type of powered device to be plugged in at a time?

I would not power a hub off of the card. If anything, I would use a powered hub to take the power load off of the card.

I would say 1 powered device running off the card at once, no more.

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2003
crazzyeddie said:
I would not power a hub off of the card. If anything, I would use a powered hub to take the power load off of the card.

I would say 1 powered device running off the card at once, no more.

OK, thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.