usb bluetooth compatibility

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by steeleclipse, Apr 11, 2004.

1. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

I am looking for a USB bluetooth adapter that will work on my G4 powermac running 10.3. I am trying to get a cheap one off of ebay, however the ones that have a low price tag never state anything in their description about Mac compatibility, but rather just windows. I imagine the sellers are windows based anyways, and they wont know the truth.

My question is this.. could these bluetooth dongles be like other products such as my USB Sound Blaster, that when I plug it in, OS X just HAS the drivers for it already? I think I might have a chance, considering most chipsets are usually quite similar. Does anybody have a similar experience???

2. phillymjs macrumors regular

I think most USB Bluetooth adapters have a better than average chance of working on the Mac.

Best thing to do is get the part number of one being auctioned, and Google it to see if anyone has reported successfully trying that model on a Mac. That's what I did, and I got a pair of Mitsui WIF-0402C adapters for less than $30 each over a year ago. The packaging says nothing at all about Mac compatibility, but they work just fine with OS X's built-in drivers. (I just checked eBay, and nobody's offering any Mitsuis at the time of this writing.)

~Philly

3. steeleclipse thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats what I thought, I just wondered what everybody else was thinking. I just won an auction for one @ $11.24, so hopefully it works :)