usb bluetooth

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by public enemy, Aug 2, 2005.

1. public enemy macrumors regular

public enemy

i do not have bluetooth built in on my ibook (i thought at the time i would never use it), but now i would like it for wireless apps such as a mouse- maybe the mighty mouse when its bluetooth! and my cell phone. and my main use would be my cell phone (nokia 3660), any advise on a certain usb dongle (and whats with that name? dongle?) i know certain ones have different ranges, and there also different classes of them. anything would help. thanks guys/ladies!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

To be honest they pretty much all work. I bought a no-name one off eBay ages ago and it worked fine.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I recently bought the cheapest I could find, a Billionton dongle, and it works flawlessly. It replaced a 2-3 years old Keyspan, which back then was the cheapest I could find... :)

You should be fine with any dongle supporting Bluetooth 1.1 or later, any wil du, just like robbieduncan said.

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I bought an offbrand, too, and it works great. However, Apple officially will only support the D-Link model, meaning if you have a problem with getting ANYTHING to pair with the computer (even Apple's mouse or keyboard) or any other issues, they will not offer phone assistance unless you have the D-Link model.