Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's Retina MacBook uses a brand new USB-C connector for power, which means that it's able to be charged by external USB battery packs much like an iPhone or an iPad. But because of its higher 29 watt power requirements, there aren't any current battery packs that pump out enough power to charge the MacBook at full speed. Instead, most USB battery packs used with the MacBook today just keep the battery steady, without adding additional power. That's set to change, however, as companies are starting to debut accessories and battery packs that will let the Retina MacBook charge at its full 29 watt rate.

As of today, Hyper, known for its line of external battery packs designed for Apple's notebooks, is launching a Indiegogo project for the HyperJuice Magic Box. Available in two varieties, the Magic Box is an adapter that allows the 12-inch Retina MacBook to be charged at a full 29W speed using HyperJuice battery packs, or up to 12W using regular USB battery packs.

The 29W Magic Box adapter cable, which converts the DC output of a HyperJuice battery pack to a USB-C connection, uses a smart IC to enable "fast and safe" 29W charging, refilling the MacBook's battery just as its 29W Power Adapter would. The 12W Magic Box is a USB to USB-C adapter that will let any existing USB battery pack work with the new MacBook, but it won't be as powerful as a HyperJuice battery pack paired with the 29W adapter.
If you need faster charging at the same 29W speed as the original Apple USB-C Power Adapter, use Magic Box 29W adapter together with HyperJuice batteries. Only HyperJuice can safely and efficiently provide up to 29W (or even 100W) power via USB-C. This is something that regular USB battery packs cannot do.
The 29W Magic Box will be available for $35 while the 12W version is available for $25. Both can be ordered through Hyper's Indiegogo page, which also includes other purchasing options for Magic Box and external battery back combos at discounted prices, plus options that will make HyperJuice battery packs compatible with both MagSafe-based Macs and the Retina MacBook.

hyperjuicemagicbox-800x551.jpg

Hyper's existing HyperJuice battery packs can also be ordered from the Hyper website, with prices that range from $169.95 to $449.95. Ranging from 16,000 mAh to 61,000 mAh, the HyperJuice external batteries can add anywhere from 14 to 53 additional hours of battery life to a MacBook.

In the near future, there will also be other USB-C external battery pack options for the MacBook. At the end of this month, Maximas will introduce a crowdfunding campaign for the XTRON, a 13,400 mAh power bank (for 8 hours of extra battery life) designed specifically for USB-C devices like the MacBook.

xtron-800x561.jpg
The XTRON external battery pack, coming soon from Maximas​

It includes 4.2A USB charging ports that are compatible with both USB-C and USB-A so it can be used to charge multiple types of devices simultaneously, and though it's 13,400 mAh, it's able to fit in the palm of a hand. It will be available for $69 when the Indiegogo project launches.

Another company previously announced a similar product, the Reach Go battery pack. The Reach Go's original specs claim to have 15,000 mAh, offer two standard USB ports, and a single USB-C port, and cost $99. This battery has also not yet shipped, but the website claims an October, 2015 arrival.

Update 9/30: The Maximas XTRON external battery pack is now available via Indiegogo.

Article Link: New USB-C Batteries to Charge Retina MacBooks at Full Speed

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
You've really got to be someone that frequently gets stranded in the middle of nowhere with no power plug available to justify spending that much on a battery pack.

Gotta be honest, if I were trekking to an Andes/Artic/Amazon for some purpose where I needed constant always on battery computer time (I guess research or something ??) - I'd not be bringing one of these MacBooks with me in the first place

macs4nw

macrumors 601
You've really got to be someone that frequently gets stranded in the middle of nowhere with no power plug available to justify spending that much on a battery pack.
Yeah, and those are also places where there's often no WiFi or cell coverage.

But for those users for whom these chargers are 'life-savers', these $25/$35 prices seem very reasonable.

Reactions: dwaltwhit

d0hv

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2015
I hope the next redesigned MacBook Pro has Gold color option. This new MacBook is a pretty ****** device for the price they're charging. What sane person would buy this crap when you can get a MacBook Pro for the same price that blows it out of the water ?

Reactions: Aloft085

Virtua1

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2014
An unfortunate solution to an unfortunate computer configuration.

In the past couple of years, Apple has developed the knack for taking your new Mac hopes and expectations and then giving you something unexpected and completely what you DON'T want.

For instance, most of us wanted an updated, improved MacBook Air with a Retina Display. Instead we got the MacBook with one port and many of the limitations of an iPad. (Don't get me wrong, iPads are great tablets, it's just COMPUTERS should be usable as COMPUTER - complete with power and proper IO.)

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Apple really could have revolutionized everything by moving to a USB-C connector on their iOS devices as well. But nooo, they had to stick with Lightning.

Imagine having one type of charger for all your devices.

I think they enjoy having the phone charger cable market locked up for themselves, though. At the very least they moved from a proprietary connector (magsafe) to an open one (USB-C) on that laptop. Hopefully the rest of the line follows soon, but please give us more than one port!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002

In the past couple of years, Apple has developed the knack for taking your new Mac hopes and expectations and then giving you something unexpected and completely what you DON'T want.

For instance, most of us wanted an updated, improved MacBook Air with a Retina Display. Instead we got the MacBook with one port and many of the limitations of an iPad. (Don't get me wrong, iPads are great tablets, it's just COMPUTERS should be usable as COMPUTER - complete with power and proper IO.)

They gave me exactly what I DO want, with the new MacBook. Bigger screen than my 11" Air, thinner and lighter, retina. I have NO interest in hanging tons of cords and boxes off the side of an ultraportable laptop. Give me one future-proof connector and I'm set. And I have flexibility if that changes: hubs are cheap.

(Intel did not quite give me what I want, so I'm waiting for gen. 2. And I am ambivalent about the thin keyboard--don't like it, don't hate it.)

Other recent Macs have been just what I wanted too: notably the Mac Pro. I carry it (and a compact projector that turns any wall into a display) on family visits and I can compile in Xcode at full speed--using a machine I can carry in its handle-box with one hand. Try that with a mega-tower!

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I hope the next redesigned MacBook Pro has Gold color option. This new MacBook is a pretty ****** device for the price they're charging. What sane person would buy this crap when you can get a MacBook Pro for the same price that blows it out of the water ?

someone who values portability over power. Not many people need the pro power, and it is a tank compared to the macbook.

Reactions: Nunyabinez

Virtua1

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2014
They gave me exactly what I DO want, with the new MacBook. Bigger screen than my 11" Air, thinner and lighter, retina. I have NO interest in hanging tons of cords and boxes off the side of an ultraportable laptop. Give me one future-proof connector and I'm set. And I have flexibility if that changes: hubs are cheap.

(Intel did not quite give me what I want, so I'm waiting for gen. 2. And I am ambivalent about the thin keyboard--don't like it, don't hate it.)

Other recent Macs have been just what I wanted too: notably the Mac Pro. I carry it (and a compact projector that turns any wall into a display) on family visits and I can compile in Xcode at full speed--using a machine I can carry in its handle-box with one hand. Try that with a mega-tower!

Glad that you have found it useful. Agree that Intel has been the hold up for several things, but there have been too many computing sacrifices in the name of design lately with the Macs.

The Mac Pro is the poster child of a computer for hanging tons of cords and boxes off of. The iMac line has gorgeous displays with un-upgradeable graphics card bottlenecks, increasingly shortened lifespan issues (like the removal of target display functionality), and terrible heat dissipation issues. One bright spot - the MacBook Air - has the distinction of being a quite capable ultraportable laptop and a decent dev tool. It can last through 9 hours of note taking, web researching and file transfers to an external project drive without charging. And when it does need power, you can still be doing ALL of those tasks with an outlet nearby. More ports and better performance on the MacBook and maybe I'll agree with you on gen 2.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011

No. The new MacBook is a laptop I DO want. Smaller, lighter, superb display, decent performance. As a second computer for mobile use it is ideal, and don't need all the ports of my MacBook Air or a MacBook pro.

People quickly forget that the first MacBook Air from years ago was similarly equipped, but has evolved nicely over the years. Zero doubt in my mind the new MacBook will as well as Intel improves their CPU line re power dissipation (battery lifetime) and performance.

Reactions: Nunyabinez

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
People quickly forget that the first MacBook Air from years ago was similarly equipped, but has evolved nicely over the years. Zero doubt in my mind the new MacBook will as well as Intel improves their CPU line re power dissipation (battery lifetime) and performance.

Yep, and that MacBook Air was a ****** computer solution.

I was surprised to see this article on the MacBook. To be honest, I had forgotten it even existed, since I've never seen one outside of an Apple store.

Last edited by a moderator:

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Where do you get 222Wh from?

The indiegogo page lists 222Wh as the largest capacity. Actually, they list stretch goals for the project. If they get $500K of funding they'll make a 260Wh battery. If they get $1M, they'll make a 300Wh battery.

Assuming a way to transfer the energy to the car, that 300Wh bat would get the Tesla S a bit over a mile!

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
Reads a bit too much like a promotional post to me... :/

I think I'll wait until it becomes more of a standard. I'm not too fond of this crowd-funding method of selling.

Reactions: snowmoon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.