Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joshoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2014
Netherlands
Hi everyone :)

I bought a new Mac Mini yesterday and I tore it apart immediately to build in a SSD.
It runs great and I love it so far!

Now my idea was to keep the Mac mini in sleep mode while I am not using it.
Unfortunately all the USB devices stay on when I put it into sleep.
I have a keyboard with led lights and a screen, a mouse full of led lights and a headset which contains led lights, so I would love to have them turning off while it's going to sleep, since I also sleep in the same room.

Now I have read about using hibernation mode, but is there any way to let it go into hibernation mode after a certain time instead of going to sleep mode as well? And will I still be able to turn it back on with the keyboard?

Is there any way to achieve this? Coz I really hoped I didn't had to crawl under the desk to reach the power button.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
This is normal. The keyboard and mouse must be powered in order to work. They need to work in order to wake the computer. You cannot cut power to the keyboard and expect the keyboard to be able to wake the computer.

Joshoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2014
Netherlands
This is normal. The keyboard and mouse must be powered in order to work. They need to work in order to wake the computer. You cannot cut power to the keyboard and expect the keyboard to be able to wake the computer.

I think you're wrong.
It seems like the Mac didn't went into standby at all in the right way.
Soundflower was preventing it, so I had to turn it off in order to get it into stand.

Now it goes in standby and it turns all the lights of my peripherals off.
When I press a button on the keyboard the Mac turns on.

The only issue I have sometimes is that there are moments its still not going into sleep, while there is no app causing this (based on the activity monitor).
When I manually put it in sleep mode the screen turns off, but turns back on a second later.

coso

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2012
Try installing Wimoweh and see if there is some process blocking the sleep

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.