USB enclosure to use with 2.5" Sata drives?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by generik, Sep 5, 2006.

1. generik macrumors 601

generik

When you upgrade the hard drive on a MB or MBP you will end up with an extra 2.5" SATA harddrive, so I was thinking of getting a case for it to use it as an external drive.

Does anyone know where I can get such a case? All the ones I've seen so far are for the older IDE drives only.

Thank you.

2. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

http://www.meritline.com/2-5-aluminum-usb2-external-sata-drive-enclosure.html

Anyone know anything about these cases? Far cheaper than the one's posted above, but are they any good? I'm planning on putting my 60GB HD from my MacBook in it, but dunno if I should spring the $43 for a case from OWC. I like OWC, but I also like my money, and I'd rather not spend more than necessary.

jW

4. JDN macrumors 6502a

Is this assuming you are prepared to void the warrenty to do it, or have i missed something?

That macally case is shiny :) would almost make a good portable external HD.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

No voiding of warranty necessary to replace the hard drive in a MacBook, it's user-accessible.

And I usually don't like MacAlly, they're not the best from what I've seen of theirs.

jW