USB extension cables - allow charging?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Applespider, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    My sis has an eMac and an iPod shuffle. The shuffle can't charge in the eMac since it doesn't fit into the USB port and there's not enough power for it to charge from the keyboard.

She doesn't particularly want to have to fork out the £15 for an iPod Shuffle dock and various sites suggest adding a USB extension.

She's found an extension cable (2m) and will ask in the store if they have a shorter one. Is the level of charge provided by the USB port affected by the length of cable? Should that work - or will she need to fork out for a powered USB hub or a Dock?

2. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Length of cable shouldn't make any difference to the ability to charge, so long as the eMac has a powered USB 2 port.. It should work great. :)

3. Applespider thread starter macrumors G4

Applespider

It doesn't have a USB2 port - just a USB1.1 one. I know it's slower - but I thought they still offered the ability to charge.

4. Timepass macrumors 65816

well the lenth of the wire is going to effect the charge. there is more restances for it to go though and it the same amount of power for it (net being less power getting to the shuffle). I thinking the max it can be is maybe 3 feet (1m) short would be even better. I know my sister iPod mini charges off the home computers USB 1.1 with it wiring if that tells you any thing.

Mind you the eMac power out put could be quite a bit less than the one my sisters is using but I know it only a USB 1.1.

5. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Well - I said USB 2 as that is the only one Apple says will definitely charge. However, my Mum has an iPod shuffle which charges through a USB 1.1 port on an old PC - so you may be alright. With the USB 1.1, I'm not sure.. instinct would tell me that the cable makes minimal difference. If I had one around, I would try with the USB 1.1 downstairs.. Sorry.

6. Applespider thread starter macrumors G4

Applespider

I read that which is why I figured a £3 cable would be more acceptable than a £20 dock... it was the length of cable that made me wonder.

I'll tell her to get the shortest one that the store has... and keep my fingers crossed. She's not the most technical person in the world... and she's already narked that her iPod and eMac aren't instantly compatible :rolleyes:

7. andysmith macrumors 6502

I power my Canon scanner from my iMac on a 4mtr extension, and haven't had any problems.
    I believe bus-powered scanners are one of the most power hungry USB peripherals, so the shuffle should be fine.

8. dcv macrumors G3

The shuffle dock is only £9 at John Lewis... and I think I know someone who might even get a discount there ;)

9. Applespider thread starter macrumors G4

Applespider

:eek: You know... alarmingly, I didn't even think of checking since I assumed we'd be the same as Apple. I might offer her that as an option then... although since her battery is running out, she might not want to wait til Wed/Thurs for it to get to her.

10. Lau Guest

Ooh, what a reasonably priced store that is. :p