USB extension cables

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by zen, Mar 29, 2004.

1. zen macrumors 65816

zen

Hi,

I'm having a great deal of difficulty in finding a USB extension cable in my local computer shops that is anything other than beige in colour! I'm just after a male A to female A USB cable to use as an extension cord on a mouse for my iBook.

Can anybody recommend some online retailers that would carry USB cables in other colours? Anything will do (black, white, clear) just not ruddy beige!

I've found Macally's retractable USB cable:

http://www.macally.com/spec/special...ing/lp_usb.html

...which looks perfect but I'm confused about the connectors. I need male A to female A - but this one says A to B (both male?), but the picture seems to show A to A (again, both male?) with an included A to B adaptor.

I guess I can get an adaptor so I can plug the mouse into the cable? Man, I never thought getting a simple extension cable would be so difficult. Why on earth did Apple put all the ports on the iBook on the left-hand side! 90% of people are right-handed, and the cable of this notebook-sized mouse doesn't reach all the way around the back.

*sigh*

Zen

2. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Google only returned 345,000 results

http://www.google.com/search?q=usb+extension+cable&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

3. zen thread starter macrumors 65816

zen

4. zen thread starter macrumors 65816

zen

5. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

:confused:
    perhaps they did it because people would have to be careful with their cds because they can scratch, and some righties aren't good with their left hand, so if the cd was on the left side, righties would complain.:mad:
    you see, there is no solution except making 2 models, one for left handed people, and one for right handed people. ;)

6. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

and dont forget about the 10% Left handed iBook users that constantly bitch about how their power port is on the RIGHT side!!!!

its a good thing we've cured cancer, aids, and world hunger so we can now complain about the trivials..

7. zen thread starter macrumors 65816

zen

Ah, but the power cord is at least LONG! Perhaps it's just this little mouse that has an abnormally short cord? It's a MS optical notebook mouse. Does anybody know of a bluetooth notebook-sized mouse?

Zen

8. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better

bluetake makes one- i have it. works great.

9. zen thread starter macrumors 65816

zen

Aha, the Bt500? Looks great. Now if I can just find a online retailer that stocks it I'll be happy!

Zen

10. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    excaliber pc is where i got mine