USB External HD for Audio Recording

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by steelphantom, Aug 10, 2006.

1. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

I've been using a PC with M-Audio Delta 1010LT for audio recording, and I've decided to sell all of that stuff and just use my iBook. I'm planning on getting a MOTU UltraLite. My issue here is hard drives. I have a 200GB external HD, but it's in a USB enclosure. I don't really want to use the iBook's hard drive because it doesn't have that much space left on it and I believe it's only 4200 RPM. Would I be able to do up to 8 tracks of recording using a USB external hard drive, or would the USB not be fast enough to handle all that data at once?

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'd be surprised if USB could handle it. try it and find out. or get a new enclosure, firewire, and keep the same drive.

i bet the internal drive could handle the load better than that USB one.

3. steelphantom thread starter macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

Looks like I'll have to stick with the internal drive then. If I buy a FireWire enclosure, my lone FireWire port will be used up. I guess I could buy a hub, but that's two additional things I'd have to buy just to be able to record (a hub and a FW enclosure). Once I get the UltraLite, I'll try it out with the USB drive, but as you said, it probably won't be able to handle it.

4. e-clipse macrumors 6502

e-clipse

Luckily, most firwire devices can be chained together, even hard drives. The firewire device should have a firewire input on the back of it. Similar to daisy chaining MOTU products like the 896hd.

5. steelphantom thread starter macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

So I could daisy-chain the hard drive and the UltraLite and have OS X recognize the hard drive? If so, that would be awesome. I'll have to see how everything works out, but I might end up doing that.