USB-Firewire Adaptor?

Discussion in 'Community' started by atif.muhammad, Nov 20, 2004.

1. atif.muhammad macrumors member

Oct 26, 2004
    none of your business
    i have a USB B Mini port Hard Disk(external) but i want to connect it using firewire
    the hd itself doesnt come with firewire. is there such a thing as a USB-Firewire Adaptor? I dont want a combo PCI card.
  2. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Feb 10, 2003
    Buckeye Country, O-H
    I would have to say, no, i don't think they make that kind of a cable. I could be wrong though. I don't think they are made because FireWire has the ability to supply power through the cable; while USB doesn't have enough power to power a external HD.

Plus, if you went from say a USB 2 plug, and used a cable that had FW 400 on the other end, it would be slowed down. If you have USB 2 on your drive , i would just use that. USB2 is faster than Firewire 400, so unless you have USB 2 and FW 800, i don't think it would even be worth it.
  3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Actually, USB 2.0 has a theoretical higher transfer rate, but FireWire still does better. There are many tests to prove this. Also, as you mention, FireWire has a higher bus transfer speed. FireWire is better for hard drives for that reason.
  4. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    there is no such cable or adapter.
  5. Will Curran macrumors regular

Will Curran

Oct 23, 2004
    Phoenix AZ
    Yea they arent the same cable, maybe look for an adapter fore the harddrive for you to use a firewire card, but theres no adapter for usb2 cords to use in a firewire port...i dont think so..*shrug*
  6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Another intelligent question from a PC user. [​IMG]
  7. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    that's pretty mean, man. it's a fairly natural question - i mean both offer similar high speed transfer, as far as most users are concerned...
  8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Not really a natural question or being mean*, just another thread in a long line of inane posts that have made me lose any hope for the next question being a real question...

USB-Firewire Adaptor?

MS to sue Linux...

AppleStation? ABox? AppleCube?

PC or Mac Laptop?

cheap iPods in UK

PC vs. Mac

Rip Off Apple

What Hard Drives does the iPod use?

Portable Media Centre

Microsoft Source Code

Hardware Protection Mechanisms in iBook and PB

Linux Users?

Fedora Core 1 EULA! Hilarious!

Sign here to boycott Longhorn and all MS Products!!!

* After several straight to wasteland trolling efforts, he will have to expect a bunch of crap from any post that stinks of another fishing expedition.
  9. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    that's true. :p