USB/Firewire Airport?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by steve_hill4, Aug 7, 2005.

1. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

May 15, 2005
    NG9, England
    Does anyone know of a USB or Firewire dongle that would give your mac access to a wireless network? I know Apple don't manufacture such a thing, but I assume there must be someone out there who manufacture a mac compatible device, but all the ones I have seen only seem to state Windows.

I think it would be a good solution for older mac owners without Airport built in. I know a fair few people wanting to set up wireless now and have a much older iMac or a mac they aren't keen on opening up to fit a card that may/may not fit. It would be an easy solution for them.
  2. TMA macrumors 6502a

Jan 6, 2003
    We used to sell the D-Link DWL 122 which was a wireless B (11Mbit/sec) adapter. D-Link say it supports mac but I'd be careful to check out its compatibility with Tiger and do some research on it first.

More info here:

They probably make several other similar products.
  3. strider42 macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002

There are loads of USB one's but mac support is iffy. you are much better off with an ethernet wireless bridge, as they don't require drivers and will work with any OS. The link sys WET11 and WET54 work great, and other manufacturers have similar devices.