USB/Firewire powered HDD enclosure?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by higg0060, Sep 29, 2006.

1. higg0060 macrumors newbie

I want to back up my files at home onto an external hard drive and bring that HDD to work to keep safe, possibly to photo shoots. I have an internal 160GB 3.5" HDD and want to use that. One problem. I don't want to carry arround two cable cords (USB/Firewire and AC adapter).

Anyone know of any manufacturers or reputable sources that make an enclosure for a 3.5" hard drive that is powered off of a USB or Firewire cable?

2. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

nope, they need too much power. You can only get bus powered 2.5in enclosures as far as I know.

3. higg0060 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

Look at the image with the ports:

[​IMG]

DC power input. Don't think its really USB powered if it has that...

**EDIT** And also:

5. higg0060 thread starter macrumors newbie

You confirmed what I thought.
    With technology today you think someone could make this happen. But I guess I can look forward to owning an Asimo one day.

6. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

usb and firewire just weren't designed to transmit that much power quite simply. there really isn't anything else they could do about it aside from design a whole new connection.

but you can get 2.5" drives up to 160GB, and you can get 7200rpm ones up to 100GB; so you're not losing speed, and size is still pretty good for the 2.5" drives. so there really is no need for bus powered 3.5' drives.