USB flash drives

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by NP3, Dec 6, 2003.

1. NP3 macrumors regular

Jul 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Hey guys,

I have a teacher friend that is looking into buying a USB flash memory drive. He goes from mac to pc and back. I haven't been able to find out if these things go back and forth (not just mac OR pc supported), and if they do, could you guys recommend a good one for a teacher (probably around 128 MB).

2. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Yes, they work back and forth without any problems. Just make sure you format it on a Windows machine (it'll probably come preformatted though so you won't need to worry about that).

Just a small word of warning: after using it on a Mac, when you look at it in Windows, you may see a hidden file called .DS_Store. Don't delete it. That's all :)
  3. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

May 24, 2003
    Phoenix AZ USA
    Re: USB flash drives

Happily, you have some amazing options of late, including alternatives.
    If speed is not a factor, browse the MacMalls online and make a list of who has what for how much.
    Or, go over to your nearest Fry's Electronics and check out the dozen vendors hocking their wares on peg boards & shelves. Tons of choices.

SPEED CHOICE. In a straight USB Flash Memory, there is slow USB 1.1 and Fast USB 2.0, with appropriate price differential. Slow flash is slow.
    Lexar Media JumpDrive 64MB USB 1.1 portable flash drive Only $14.99
    Faster USB 2.0 is highly recommended.
    NO Reader required! :)

ALTERNATIVE. If the teacher has a Digital Camera (Nikon, Pentax, Fuji, etc.) especially an SLR ($1,000 up) using CompactFlash, or SecureDigital (SD) consider speed rated Lexar media cards from 12x up to 40x (unspecified cards are only 1x or 2x and are very slow); other flash media have no speed rating so assume SLOW.

Lexar Media 256MB 32x high-speed Secure Digital (SD) card_with a minimum sustained write speed of 4.8MB/sec, 32X speed rated SD cards offer higher performance than standard SD cards Only $75

Lexar Media 256MB 40x Professional CompactFlash card with Write Acceleration (WA) Technology_which allows digital cameras and CompactFlash cards to work together perfectly to pass and store images more quickly and achieve image-write speeds never before possible. Only $78 40x is only $3 more than 32x !

512MB 40x Professional CompactFlash card Only $169.99

1GB 40x Pro CompactFlash card Only $299.99

4GB 40x Pro CompactFlash card with Write Acceleration (WA) Technology, Type II_Only $1,559

Fast CompactFlash use FireWire 400 readers to take advantage of the speed, often there are deals that give you a reader FREE. Otherwise, $40-50
    USB 2.0 readers 8 in 1 are under $40.

PC/Mac cross platform, some faster media require download of drivers on each platform which enhance speed of transfering data.

Digital Film Designed for the Professional Photographer
    For the professional shooter who needs immediate confirmation they've captured "the shot" or wants to identify accurate exposure, levels, or bracketing range - Lexar Media's patented 4X, 12X, and 40X speed
    ( 1X=150KB/sec.)
    ( 4X=600KB/sec.)
    (32X=4.8MB/sec.) and
    (40X=6.0MB/sec.) transfer rate
    respectively) is critical. Ideal for fast-paced applications such as photojournalism, sports and fashion, Lexar Media's High-Speed Series and Professional Digital Film brings out the ultimate performance from your professional equipment. Pros cannot afford to wait to review their photos while SLOW cards crunch data. Hence, high-speed Pro cards.
    PREDICTION: Hard Drives are old technology and have hit a technology wall for speed and size. Flash Memory has no parts and will eventually replace mechanical hard drives.
    Ten years ago a 128 MB hard drive was a big deal, today drives are measured in GB, not MB.
    Flash Media have already progressed from 64MB to 4GB, while large cards are expensive, cost will come down. Camcorder manufacturers are chomping at the bit for large flash memory cards (40GB+) at reasonable prices. DV tape is all but dead, HD are dying, 35mm film is all but dead for recording images, FLASH is the future!!!
  4. NP3 thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
  5. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

May 24, 2003
    Phoenix AZ USA
    JumpDrive 128MB USB 2.0 portable flash drive

You are welcome.

More concisely, a Lexar or other brand JumpDrive 128MB USB 2.0 portable flash drive is exactly what he needs, unless he has a Digital Camera or Camcorder that uses a CompactFlash or SD card, then it makes more sense to get a card that can also be used in a camera.
    If he gets a CF or SD card, I recommend getting either a good FireWire reader or a fast USB 2.0 reader, which saves camera battery usage. However, a camera can be used as a reader in a pinch.

Please let us know details of what is eventually selected and where.
    Now you have the flash memory bug yourself, don't you. ;)

One last note: IOGear makes a "Memory Mini Mouse" with 32MB in the optical mouse, which allows you to transfer data from computer to mouse.
    Also, notice that some rebates are ZEROing out the cost of small 32MB memory chips online, so if you order online check out all the super giveaway deals and get free stuff too.

EXTRA: Until only recently, Macs were not built with USB 2.O capability, yet lots of peripherals are designed for fast USB but not FireWire. So, today I bought several IOGear USB 2.0 PCI cards (2 hi-speed ports) @ $15 each as Christmas presents for MacBuddies too cheap or lazy to upgrade themselves.
    Soon their USB 2.0 powered mini-hubs will no longer be slowed to 1.1 speed at the source.

MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone! :D
  6. DillHarris macrumors member

Feb 19, 2003
    Upstate NY
    I don't know if this will help or not, but just as a heads up... The Jumpdrives (Lexar brand), are short and fat... This is somewhat of a problem on the TiBook because the usb ports are horizontal next to each other (fatness intrudes on the space of the other port)... Don't know long term how good it is to have a usb whatever jammed in there crooked.

Edit: Jumpdrive Secure is short and fat...
  7. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

May 24, 2003
    Phoenix AZ USA
    Short and FAT, USB wise...

Excellent observation, DillHarris. :cool:
    Someone gave me a 3" USB extender cord (never seen one for sale) for that very purpose, but I find that I rarely use it. Iomega's USB drives seem to be more narrow & compact AND a lot of the off-brands are also - down & dirty.
    Just Lexar and some of the more expensive brands are real stylish and "got FAT". :D
    Next time in Fry's, maybe someone should conduct a Plug & Play test on a PB and iBook. Volunteers???
    Thing is, I rarely have anything else plugged into the USB slotS at the same time as I am transferring data, so it's never been a problem for me, how about you DillHarris?
    Stick memory is usually just IN & OUT, Drag & Drop, then run & play. :p

M E R R Y

C H R I S T M A S

8. Nik_Doof macrumors regular

Sep 15, 2003
    St Helens, UK
    watch out about flash drives, over the weekend i got a USB flashdrive (as a freebie as they messed up my pb memory order). It said "Mac OS X Compatible" on the blister pack. So i ripped it open and jammed it in....did sweet FA.

Turns out i had to "format" it on a windows machine as it had "security features" which allow you to password the flash drive....ugh, say how about formatting it as normal FAT and then leaving the software on CD if they wanted to secure it...

*hits his t610 as it keeps bleeping with the recharge sound due to a dodgy charger*