USB Floppy Drive and VPC 7

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ZildjianKX, Oct 8, 2004.

1. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I am planning on going to law school next year, and I just looked up the recommended computer requirements and of course it's a POS Dell. Part of their academic software is a PC program that you can take a test on, and it writes the results on a floppy disk.

My question is this... does Virtual PC 7 fully support USB floppy drives? I was thinking I can just buy a powerbook like I was planning, and buy an external USB drive and use the software that way. I couldn't find any official mention of USB Floppy drive support, or on the supported peripheral page.

Also, if it does work, can anyone recommend a good mac USB floppy drive?

Thanks.

2. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

You want a reason for a PB and not a laptop...

It doesn't matter at all if VPC supports floppies (I don't care if it does), there are some USB floppies for mac and they will work as a drive, you can share a folder from mac os x to vpc and transfer the files, yes, get the PB, you won't be copying floppies the whole day, but you will carry a nice PB most of the time...do not bother with a 3 KG PC... you know you want... ;)

3. ZildjianKX thread starter macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Well, a powerbook won't work anyways even if I use Virtual PC since they won't allow that I found out. The purpose of the software is locking you out of your computer except for a word processor so you don't cheat and look stuff up. If you use virtual PC, you can minimize it and defeat it's purpose. If VPC doesn't mount a USB floppy drive as a real floppy, that wouldn't do much good since the program looks to the A: drive for a floppy, so copying to a folder on the floppy wouldn't do much good.

4. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

you could just buy a pb and build a cheap pc for 250ish dollars. oh yeah, plus windows ;) ;) :p

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Get the PB and then get a $100 PC laptop. I found a few on eBay. Anyhoo, most PC laptops don't have floppies nowadays, so you'll be buying an older PC laptop anyway.