USB Game Controller on Mac OSX

Discussion in 'Games' started by belovedmonster, Mar 7, 2007.

1. belovedmonster macrumors regular

May 11, 2005
    I have a USB gamepad that works great on XP but when I plug it into OSX nothing happens. Is there something I need to do to set it up so I can use it?

I'm aware there is an app called Gamepad companion that will make gamepads work but I dont wanna spend the $15 bucks on it if I can do anything to avoid it.
  2. whooleytoo macrumors 603

Aug 2, 2002
    Cork, Ireland.
    Generally, USB devices should work, so I'm surprised that it doesn't.

When you say "nothing happens", do you know that - unlike XP - OSX doesn't notify you that a USB device was attached? Have you tried launching a game and seeing if you can set the controls to the gamepad's?
  3. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Aug 15, 2006
    The Rainbow Nation RSA
    USB Overdrive sorts all problems, it allows you to assign function to USB devices. hope that helps..
  4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Dec 12, 2002
    Also, what games? Some Mac games just aren't written with gamepads in mind. (Even though the Mac OS supports USB gamepads and joysticks, game writers seem to not notice this, and neglect to provide support in the games.)
  5. charmin macrumors member

Dec 25, 2005
    W. London
    And don't install 3rd party gamepad software if you don't need to. Gamepad Companion and USB Overdrive can break compatibility with some games because of how they work.

You may just need to set the pad up inside of the game's options.