USB harddrive partition

Discussion in 'macOS' started by EvilDoc, Aug 12, 2005.

1. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

Well since my orginal question has been answer its time yet again for a new one, i have setup a network with my mac mini and my laptop. the Mini has a usb harddive attached to it, but when i view the Mini from my laptop i cant see the usb drive.. any ideas?

yes iam a resent switcher :D

2. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

I'm afraid not. If you simply wanted to create a new partition with the free space, I believe there are commercial applications that allow you to do that, but changing the file format for the drive without destroying the data is most likely a no-go. What was the original computer you used to put the data on the drive?
    -Chase

3. EvilDoc thread starter macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

i assume i used my mac but i thought i had connected it to my pc to format it first.. any idea why finder locks up when ever i try to transfer large files from the usb drive to a internal drive?

4. EvilDoc thread starter macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

I think i may have found the problem, but i dont know if this is even possible.. i think that my usb harddrive is usb 2.0 which is connected to a hub. i cant remeber if the usb hub is 2.0 or 1.0? i think this was causing the lockups? is that possible?

5. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

It could be just because the Finder doesn't like that particular drive. Has it worked on the same OS version before (either on the same computer or a different one)? What kind of drive is it? Hopefully we'll get down to the bottom of this. :)
    -Chase

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

USB versions shouldn't cause trouble with devices, it's all supposed to fall back gracefully (in theory at least :D).

Skanky hubs can get in the way though, especially if you have a hub without its own power supply and a lot of bus-powered devices plugged into it. You can always try plugging in directly and seeing if the problem goes away.

7. EvilDoc thread starter macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

its a WD hardrive (with external enclouser ) and it has worked on my pc's and OSx ,tiger and jaguar. what iam saying is that the usb hub might be usb 1.0 or 1.1 and since the HD enclosure is usb 2.0 it has to downgrade itself to 1.0 or 1.1 i think that might be the problem. it seems to work better when directly connected to my mac it just doesnt like the hub

8. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Yeah, it sounds like the hub's the problem. I'd connect it directly to the mac, and unplug the hub if you can (or make sure they're on different USB "boards"). What I mean is, if you've got a PM G5, and the hubs connected to one of the back USB ports, use the front one. Hopefully it'll work much better.
    -Chase

9. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

This happens with my USB Maxtor One Touch when I plug it into my nonpowered USB hub along with some other things like my wireless mouse receiver and stuff.

10. EvilDoc thread starter macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

11. EvilDoc thread starter macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

12. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Huh? We're waiting to see if plugging it into a different USB port on you Mac makes a difference.

anyone??? ;)
    -Chase

13. EvilDoc thread starter macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

haha ya that worked but now i have a new question.. i just plugged the usb drive directly to my mac, now theres Zero problems with transfers but iam wondering about the network and why i cant see the usb drive from my windows laptop....

14. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

That's good that it worked. I'd make a new thread about the network, but I'd check the GUIDE: Networking Windows with OS X and see if anything there can't help.
    -Chase

15. EvilDoc thread starter macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

that did help, with the networking part but there is nothing there on externals :(

16. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot