USB headphones -- do they exist?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by sonofslim, Jan 15, 2004.

1. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

i've been looking for a set of USB headphones, with no luck. i've come across a few USB headsets for telecomms or gaming, &c. but i don't need the mic, so i'd like to find a pair of just plain headphones if possible...

anyone ever run across a pair?

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

just out of curiosity, why?

the ones i've seen take advantage of the fact usb can provide more than just audio... some of them at used for voIP. i've never seen a plain USB headphone... sounds like it's not as cost effective. perhaps someone else has done more research...

if you just want to listen to music, what's wrong with a mini-jack headphone? :confused:

3. sonofslim thread starter macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

i have a cube, which i bought second-hand without speakers. the cube has no audio out, so the original speakers used USB. which leaves me with 3 options: buy a pair of original speakers, which run about $70 on eBay; buy a set of soundsticks for $150-$200; or buy an ugly 3rd party set of USB speakers.

so i was investigating USB headphones, hoping they'd be a cheaper alternative. but you make a good point about USB being used for non-audio purposes... maybe i'll just get a full headset and pretend i'm directing airplanes.

4. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

ahh, cube... you got an envious problem at hand!

i didn't know cube didn't even have an audio out. that's just too bad...

the original speakers do provide a mini-audio jack so could that help in making your decision?

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Why not just buy a Griffin iMic? Audio In/Out. Doesn't the cube have regular audio out though? Or can you at least use an adapter?

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

The iMic is a nice toy, but i got something better. Ok, so it's not really better, it only has audio out, but it is generic. I paid $8 from a little local computer store. It plugs into usb and my headphones plug into it. The sound is isn't that bad. But it is better than $40.

7. sonofslim thread starter macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

solvs: no, unfortunately, the cube has no audio out whatsoever. the original speakers had a small amplifier/splitter that plugged into the USB port; the speakers plugged into the amp, which also had a headphone jack. but without the amp & speakers, i gots nothin'.

but that might do the trick! obviously i'm not real concerned with audio fidelity. does it have a name/model #?

8. cpjakes macrumors 6502

Well, this might be a little much, but you could check out the M-Audio Sonica (about $60 at J&R). It'll give you a headphone/line out and optical out to hook to headphones or a stereo. And while your Cube might not have a DVD player, the Sonica will give USB to surround sound through the optical. Just a thought...

cpjakes