Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

absurdio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2003
RI, Chi, and/or NY.
I need a USB hub. That much is clear. I've looked around for a while, but have just entered the overwhelmed-because-there're-so-fuggin'-many-of-em stage. So, as ususal, turning here seemed like a good idea.

If anyone has any advice or feedback (positive or negative) it'd be a big help to me.

Here's what I'm looking for:

1) It's got to be self-powered and come with an AC adapter. I'm not sure I'll ever REALLY need it to be self-powered, but just to be safe, I want one that is.

2) Four ports would be best. Seven is kindof silly. There's a D-Link hub with 4 usb and 3 firewire that's very tempting, but kindof unnecessary for me. So let's go with four ports.

3) I have the last generation of 15" Tibook, which means i have no USB 2.0. I don't rule it out in a hub, as I may one day need it for use with a computer that WILL have USB 2.0, but 1.1 would serve my current purposes just fine. So, either of those.

4) Ideally, the ports would be on the back of the unit, but that's an almost negligible detail.

5) Something not too hideously expensive. If we're talking USB 2.0, I'd like to spend less than $50, for 1.1, probably less than $35.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think. Anyone that has a USB hub, please feel free to offer your experience... I dunno. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks for the help.

aldo

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
England, UK
Get the cheapest one you can find - generic model if possible, as it's usually the same hardware inside but a different case and manual.

Having said that, the D-Link 4port USB w/ 3 firewire ports sounds good for future proofing yourself :).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.