Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Puckman1

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2012
Looking at using my Macbook Air with Garageband and/or Logic Pro. Coming from an iMac (which I no longer have), I no longer have the luxury of 4 or more direct USB ports (directly on the computer, as opposed to via a hub).

Since the Air only has 2 USB ports, and I tend to want to use one for a USB wireless keyboard dongle, and the other for an external scratch drive, I find myself at least one port short (for plugging in my USB MIDI controller).

I also occasionally make use of a USB mic.

I'm wondering if attaching the controller via a third-party USB hub will have any adverse effect (latency, overall performance, etc).

Anyone else have this dilemma and if so, what are your thoughts on the subject and how have you addressed it?

Diastro

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2010
Veldhoven, the Netherlands
Assuming you use a powered USB hub, you should have no problem attaching as many input/MIDI devices to one USB port as you like.
Though just to be on the safe side, I'd attach hard drives directly.

Personally I use a wired Apple keyboard and a wired gaming mouse, plus as many as 3 MIDI controllers, all connected to a powered USB hub, so that's five devices. Never had any problems! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.