USB Hub not working after 10.4.1

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wbhambone, May 20, 2005.

1. wbhambone macrumors member

Just upgraded to 10.4.1 today. Now my 7 port USB Hub is not working. I've rebooted, unplugged, replugged - still no good.

Does anyone have any insight they'd like to offer up?

Thanks in advance.

B

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

have you tried it in different usb slots?

does it work on another computer?

which usb hub is it?

3. wbhambone thread starter macrumors member

I have a Rev D Powerbook. Both USB ports on the laptop are working. The Hub works on neither port. The Hub is a 7 port Dynex DX-UH227. I've not had a chance to try it out on another computer. I will today.

I've had no problems with the hub until I went to 10.4.1. The second it rebooted after the install the hub has not worked.

B

4. wbhambone thread starter macrumors member

I've since reinstalled 10.4.1 and reset the PRAM and NVRAM...still no luck.

The hub is recognized on a Win2000 laptop, so this has to be 10.4.1 related.

Any advice????

Thanks.

B

5. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

you can also open up console in the utility folder and try and plug in the hub and see if you get any error messages.

do other usb devices work in the port?

if that stuff doesn't work, i think you are screwed. look on their website for a software update for os x of some kind. i would also call or email their support and let them know that is a problem with os x, and email apple as well.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If it is an unpowered hub Apple may have tightened (changed) the OS port specs to turn off the port quicker when it senses high draw bus powered items, or devices with whacky values.

Most likely the only way around it is to plug in a power supply to the hub, if it has a power port.

7. wbhambone thread starter macrumors member

this is the message in system.log

Here's the output I'm getting in the system.log when I plug the hub in:

May 22 14:54:31 Brad-Hamiltons-Computer kernel[0]: USBF: 50203.758 [0x1ef5e00] The IOUSBFamily is having trouble enumerating a USB device that has been plugged in. It will keep retrying.
    May 22 14:54:34 Brad-Hamiltons-Computer kernel[0]: USBF: 50206.290 [0x1ef5e00] The IOUSBFamily was not able to enumerate a device.

What next?

(SunBaked - it is a powered hub and has been plugged in the whole time)

8. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

i'd say go with the plan of emailing apple and the manufactorer. doesn't look at an error a user can repair. os x needs a software update.