USB Hub recs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Le Big Mac, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I've run out of USB ports. I'd like to buy a good, affordable 4 port USB hub for my iMac (card reader, printer, who knows what in future). Any recs for good ones, or disaster stories? Thanks.

2. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

4. Le Big Mac thread starter macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Is AC power a good idea? The printer gets its own AC, although the card reader not so much.

5. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

Hub...

I use an IOGEAR 4 port mini hub, it is 2.0 USB which is what apple uses on a lot of new computers, check out your computer to make sure you have 2.0, though some of your hardware could only be 1.0. It is still a good investment for a 2.0 with even a power source so you don't overload the hub.

cheers,
    _bnkr

6. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Yes. Most of these hubs are bus-powered from the system, so attaching a keyboard, mouse and other low-power devices will work fine. However, if you attach a whole bunch of devices, included floppy-drives, zip-drives, etc. through the hub, it will need the external power to be able to keep up.

That is what I use with my iBook. I have a keyboard, mouse, floppy drive, and scanner all hooked up through the hub, and i use the 2nd usb port on the iBook for my camera.

I ought to get a docking thingy :p