1. dragonball05 macrumors member

Jul 19, 2005
    Any suggestions for a good USB hub. e.g. with 4 fast USB ports.. preferably self-powered..

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    You don't want a self-powered USB hub with 4 ports. The USB 2.0 ports on your Mac can generally only run 2 devices without power backup. Get a good, powered USB 2.0 hub, Belkin make a 4 port powered hub with one port on the top designed to accommodate an iPod shuffle or any other device without reaching around the back. It also looks kinda like a Mac mini.

3. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Jan 11, 2005
    Little grey, chilly island.
    Yeh belkin all the way!

I brought one of the belkin models with 7 powered USB ports, and they work great! But make sure you get a powered Hub otherwise you won't even be able to run things that you didn't think took any power. I have trouble using the two USB ports on my Apple Keyboard sometimes!

Quick question though to anyone who knows about these things; is there a finite amount of data that you can process through a USB hub? As it effectivly uses just one cable to power and process seven channels, surely if you were to use 7 digital sources (Cameras, vids etc) simultaneously through a USB hub, it would stutter at the huge amount of data?
  4. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Most info I've read on sites for external HDDs FireWire and USB mention "daisy-chaining up to 127 devices" so i think one USB port can handle 128 devices - no expert though, correct me if necessary.
  5. dragonball05 thread starter macrumors member

Jul 19, 2005
    since i'm getting the apple keyboard and the Dell 24" display, i've decided i have
    enough USB ports, and don't need a hub!! i've tried to run the mouse and keyboard through the screen (at a store) and they work. the rest of my stuff
    is self powered (printer, etc) and so i don't need to even worry about this part.
    problem solved! thanks for all the input though :)