USB Hub??

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by stoid, May 27, 2002.

1. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I want to get a new USB hub. I have a G4 733 Quicksilver with all PCI slots open. Pros and cons of card v. box options so I can decide which I want.

2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Pro of hub: You can put it where you want, in easy reach of plugs.
    Con of hub: It's just one extra thing sitting on your desk.

Pro of card: It's out of the way, it's attached to your computer.
    Con of card: The plugs aren't as easily reachable.

All-in-all, I'd go with the card. I value my desk's real estate and like having as much stuff integrated into my computer as possible. (The days of externals are numbered in my opinion!)

3. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

Is there any speed difference between the two options, that's what really matters to me.

4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I'd say if anything, the card would probably be faster, since it's tapped directly into one of the PCI slots, as opposed to a hub which hooks into one of the computer's USB ports only to travel even farther until it reaches the hub.

Another pro of a card: it doesn't use up one of your existing USB ports.

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If you are going to be plugging/unplugging devices a lot I'd get a hub so you wouldn't have to get behind yer Mac each time to get to the ports.

Lethal

6. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

if you get a hub you should get one with a power supply -- i had a hub w/out one a while ago and it was a real pain because a lotta my devices wouldnt work with it cause they took up so much power.

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

One alternative is to get an Apple monitor or another brand that has the USB hub built in, this way its sort of the best of both worlds. I have an older 21" CRT Apple monitor with the 4 port USP hub integrated and it works wonderfully well, no extra desktop clutter and the cables are easy to reach. And even though the new LCDs only offer 2 extra ports, its still a good solution.