USB hubs for MBox, etc.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Gladlythebear, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Gladlythebear macrumors newbie

Jan 22, 2004
    What type of 4-port (or more) USB hub should I get so I can use a keyboard, a mouse, a Digidesign MBox, and an M Audio USB keyboard? I am confuzzled about the bus-powered vs. self-powered stuff. I need simultaneous use.

2. jakel macrumors newbie

Apr 19, 2003
    I'm pretty sure that the Mbox must be plugged directly into your computer's usb port, it won't work through a hub. I'd double check your Mbox manuals before purchasing anything.
  3. Crikey macrumors 6502

Jan 14, 2004
    Spencer's Butte, Oregon
    While you should check the requirements of any add-ons you buy, if you hope to connect all that stuff to one Mac you will need either a USB hub or a PCI card with more USB ports. I have a tower and an aversion to desktop clutter, so I got a PCI card that added three USB 2.0 ports and two more FireWire ports. So far no problems.

Bus-powered devices are those that get power from the power wires in the USB cable rather than having their own power supply. You can only have so many bus-powered devices on your USB bus before the limited current available is spread too thin. For a serious collection of gear such as yours, I'd recommend a more expensive USB hub that comes with a power supply, so it can help power the stuff on the bus.

Have fun with the Mbox!