Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lord Bodak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2003
Chesapeake, VA USA
Now that I've ordered my Powerbook, I'm looking for a good USB keyboard to use with it and my Linux machine. Since this is my first Apple, one with the Apple keys labelled would be a plus, but not necessary.

Basically I'm looking for something not exceptionally expensive and without all the little Internet shortcut buttons that Logitech and Microsoft fill their keyboards with.

Any suggestions?

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
Originally posted by Abercrombieboy
Why don't you just order an Apple Keyboard? It is around $50 and has all the right keys for the Mac.
Yeah, I agree. The Apple keyboard is a joy to use. Very good quality, it looks great, and its got the volume keys which are very cool.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
i would wait a week, if you got a 12 or 17" pb it might be nice to get the bluetooth options that are soon to be availible.

Lord Bodak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2003
Chesapeake, VA USA
Anyone have a picture of the key layout on the Apple keyboards? It drives me nuts when a company sells something like a keyboard and doesn't give a good picture of the key layout!

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Here is the pict...

TEG

Attachments

• kum04.gif
    kum04.gif
    39.9 KB · Views: 585

Lord Bodak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2003
Chesapeake, VA USA
Dumb question I suppose, but I see Apple's keyboards have on the bottom: Control, Option/Alt, and Apple/Command. Windows keyboards have: Control, Windows key, Alt. How do these associate if I plug a typical Windows keyboard into a Mac?

Additionally, does the right click button on a Windows keyboard have any effect (it's usually next to the right Windows key)?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
I can't give you a clear answer to that. I'd assume that either the Apple Key or the Alt/Option Key would act at Alt on a PC.

BTW, the Gryration Keyboards and the Logitec Keyboards have the apropriate keys labeled for the correct System, they may be an alternate for you.

Too tell the truth, I want a USB/Mac keyboard that has a full size backspace, and full two level enter. I used to have one on my old 386, I loved that keyboard, easy to use.

TEG

Lord Bodak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2003
Chesapeake, VA USA
Originally posted by TEG

BTW, the Gryration Keyboards and the Logitec Keyboards have the apropriate keys labeled for the correct System, they may be an alternate for you.

Too tell the truth, I want a USB/Mac keyboard that has a full size backspace, and full two level enter. I used to have one on my old 386, I loved that keyboard, easy to use.

I actually found a $19.99 FMI Mac USB keyboard at CompUSA... or at least found the spot on the shelf where it belongs, it was sold out. CompUSA's web site doesn't have a good picture though!

I've always preferred the full-size enter and the half-size backspace, with backslash between equal and backspace. Then again, since switching to Linux, I hardly ever use the backslash anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.