USB Low power notice

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by question fear, Jul 9, 2006.

1. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

All of the sudden tonight, I go to sync my ipod and I get a "usb low power notice" telling me the USB ports aren't enough to power my ipod. Oddly, I am able to run a wireless mouse and keyboard, and now have my ipod plugged into a USB powered hub, where it says it is charging. But it will not sync with itunes and it will not show up on my desktop. Is this an itunes issue? an ipod one?
    My palm using my USB ports syncs just fine, and my hub and keyboard are working great, which makes me think it might be an ipod/itunes issue.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: This is a 900mhz G3 ibook running OS 10.4.7, and my ipod is a video ipod with the latest update.

2. joeops57 macrumors member

The 5G iPods need USB 2.0 ports to charge/sync and my guess is that the port you're plugging it into is 1.1. This is probably why some devices work, but your iPod doesn't.

~Joe

3. question fear thread starter macrumors 68020

question fear

No....it's worked fine up until last night. No problem (Aside from very slow syncing) for almost 4 months.

Even weirder, now my ipod won't even turn on....crap. Any thoughts?

4. joeops57 macrumors member

5. question fear thread starter macrumors 68020

question fear

Eventually it did reset. Somehow, I think it had really low battery power but wasn't indicating as such, which was generating the low-usb message...once it sat there hooked up for about 5 minutes (directly into my computer) it began to sync and charge. It was very, very, odd. I am being very nice to it and promised it whatever case it wants if it behaves going forwards.

6. slusher macrumors newbie

clean out the plugs. Both the "Apple" side on the charger and phone, as well as the USB end. It's possible that there is some debris in there that is preventing a good connection.

7. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I was going to suggest you have a look in the System Profiler under Hardware->USB to see what the 'Current Available/Required' said.

Maybe when this problem crops up again.

8. htg macrumors regular

I had a similar problem recently. My iPod Nano 4G was syncing fine with my USB powered hub, then one day it decided to not sync anymore. I thought it was just my hub that had crapped out on me. But I don't know.