USB MIA on MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Windowsrefugee, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Windowsrefugee
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

This is not really a MBA problem, but probably either a USB or Mac problem, but could not post to the "Mac Hardware" . I have a brand new WD USB drive that is attached as follows to my 2011 MBA Ultra>>>ACD TB >>>USB hub >>> WD HD. I am trying to create a new back up drive, but it keeps disappearing from my finder and even disk utility. Occasionally, I will see an error message saying that it was not ejected properly. Sometimes, it even works. I have changed USB ports and that sometimes works and sometimes does not. I should say that I have also had this problem with an older USB drive which is why WD sent me this new one under warrantee. But not now, I am not sure if it is really a problem with the drive or the USB connections or something on my MBA. It is rather erratic, but seems not to work most of the time. Suggestions?:confused:

2. charlieegan3
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

try a range of extra USB devices e.g. mice, kbd, etc and see if they have issues too.

3. Windowsrefugee
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors regular

I have tried a number of devices-- in fact I have 2 powered hubs and probably have a total of at least 8 USB devices daisy chained off the ACD TB. I did notice that the Apple USB keyboard has stopped working a couple of times, but seems to respond to just changing USB ports. USB drive is not fixed by changing ports (usually).

4. Gav2k
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors G3

Gav2k

Have you tried plugging it in and checking the draw on the USB port?

5. Windowsrefugee
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors regular

I do not know how to "check the draw on the USB port"??? I have just plugged it in to ACD TB directly (to assure better power) and it is recognized and working, at least for the moment.

6. TheRealDamager
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

I have some usb devices that do NOT like being on a hub at the end of a chain like that - they require me to plug into the Thunderbolt display directly. Your HD may just be one of those devices.