USB mic headsets for mac

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by dbooster, Jun 14, 2005.

1. dbooster macrumors member

dbooster

Question, guys. I have recently jumped the bandwagon and started a podcast with a friend. So far we are just using the bulit-in mic on my powerbook, but I am looking to expand this set-up. We are both poor college students, so right now I want to keep things as cheap as possible, so buying a mixer for two mics is something I'd rather avoid right now. I was wondering: if I could find two usb mic headsets cheap, could I connect both of these and use a software mixer? That is to say, would the mac see both usb inputs as two sepreate audio streams and allow the mixer to use them?

Thanks!

2. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

I have the logitech usb headset... It is nice for voip, but for a podcast why don't you get a griffin imac and use that.... Two of them and you may be able to use garageband as your mixer...

This may be more than you want to spend, iLife (which as a college student you can get a great discount on... $60) and the iMac $35. but it would be better than any usb headset I have seen.

3. cubist macrumors 68020

Plus, iMic is stereo, whereas the Logitech headset (which I also have, and which works fine with no driver) has only one mic boom.

Seems to me you could use a single iMic as is and then later on add a cheap mixer (such as those at Radio Shack) to incorporate sound effects, etc.