USB Microphone

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by bowens, Jul 27, 2006.

1. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

I am thinking about buying this microphone http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AP1RE8/104-3356332-9798317?v=glance&n=11091801 to use with GarageBand. Has anyone around here used this mic? I have found some good reviews and some bad ones. I'm not going to be doing a whole lot but I want to be able to record vocals and a few acoustic instruments (guitar, mandolin, banjo). From what I've seen this mic will suite my needs, but I was wondering if anyone else had any opinions on it.

Attached Files:

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

the golden rule in audio: you get what you pay for. and you're paying for a mic, mic pre and a/d converter.

how well it works for you depends on your expecations.

3. bowens thread starter macrumors 6502a

bowens

Does anybody have any other suggestions on usb recording mics?

4. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

I would consider the C01U a great first microphone. Why? Because without breaking the bank, it allows you to record vocals and music, and in general experiment with your software and musical/audio work. Sooner or later, you may find out that you need something better - and you may find that you need several different mics instead of just one general-purpose model, such as for different kind of instruments, or for vocals vs. instruments. But to get to that detailed understanding, the C01U is, in my opinion, a good investment. I bought one a few months ago. I also spent a lot of money this week to buy a pair of high-end mics from Shure, but knowing more about the subject gave me the comfort that I wasn't wasting my money on the better ones.

So while I second zimv20's comment (you get what you pay for), I would not discourage you from buying the Samson C01U. It's not perfect, but it's certainly not worthless crap either.

- Martin

5. e-clipse macrumors 6502

e-clipse

It is a cheap and useful tool. Samson mics are known to be noisy mics when compared to mics like high priced AKG's. Just turn it up to hear the noise.
    It is a great all in one value until you can afford the real deal, audio interface with good mic and mic pres.

MOTU: good audio interfaces with decent mic pres built in.

6. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

7. macbodock macrumors member

8. bowens thread starter macrumors 6502a

bowens

Would it be good for all around recording, both vocals and acoustic instruments?

9. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

YES YES YES!!!

ANY Blue mic is an absolute golden! Some of the best Microphones made today, and they certainly innovate a lot!!!

10. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

For sure! It's not going to sound amazing on everything, but it will definitely get the job done the majority of the time.

11. macbodock macrumors member

I think that the BLUE SnowBall will serve you well in what ever you do... I know it does for me.

Kindest Regards

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

for everyone touting the capabilities of the snowball, have any of you actually used it? if so, let's hear some sound clips.

and if not -- please be clear when recommending kit whether you've used it or have 2nd-hand knowledge only.

13. jamesbennington macrumors newbie

Samson is good

I'm more of a recreational recorder and I've had a samson CO1U for the better part of a year now. It is a bit noisy, but for vocals you can play around with features in your editing program to reduce the noise (noise gate). I have really enjoyed using it all around though. Obviously you aren't going to get professional grade sounds from a $170 mic, but you will get an effective tool for the price. I encourage you to pick up this mic. I put a sock over the mic to reduce ambient noise, but there are more effective ways to acomplish this with any mic.

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

how does a noise gate reduce self-noise? and how does a sock reduce ambient noise without affecting the frequency response? or is the mic so hyped in the upper freqs that a sock actually makes the response sound decent?

let's hear a clip.

15. jamesbennington macrumors newbie

How to sound like a complete nerd

Dude,

It's just common knowledge that the more layers air has to go through to get to the mic the less noisy it will be...have you ever heard of a wind sock? And yes in cubase there is a noise gate which you can use to eliminate unwanted noise between sounds. You are not the god of all technology...I mean we appreciate the help you give, but get over yourself.

16. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

I think that zimv20's points are completely valid. A noise gate can be used to eliminate noise between sounds, but it will not reduce the self-noise of the microphone. If you are recording quiet sounds, a noise gate will not help as you want to let sound through but you will still be able to hear the noise generated by the mic itself.

Wrapping a sock around a mic will reduce the ambient noise, but as zimv20 points out, it will also alter the frequency response of the mic. This means that the sounds recorded will be missing certain frequencies - in particular the higher frequencies. If you are recording vocals, this could be a very noticable (and not very pleasant sounding) effect.

17. jamesbennington macrumors newbie

That works for me

I think you have managed to bridge the communication gap between myself and Zim. I wasn't talking about the self noise of the mic, but rather the recorded vocals when I suggested using noise gate. As for the sock, I use that to dull the sound of my recording environment. I record in a room far larger than I should so the sock is used to help negate that effect. I sing with sock and I notice almost no difference in the sound quality. I'm pretty sure those higher frequencies you speak of may not even be audible to the human ear.

18. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

you are absolutely right, i am not the god of all technology. and as an engineer and mixer, i'm not all that. i don't do this for a living, and what i know is eclipsed by what i don't.

that said, i feel i must speak up when someone who doesn't have enough experience to render an opinion of the quality of a piece of gear states his opinion anyway. if you don't know the difference between self-noise and what a noise gate can do, and if you don't know that material placed between a vocalist and a mic cannot selectively defeat frequencies from one source but not another, then i'd hate for someone to take your recommendation as solid.

i'm not saying this to be mean, please understand that. i love how technology has brought the means to achieve good recording to people like you and me. i love that people who have no desire to attend recording school or become an intern at a studio can access technology. i love that the amateur (and i mean this term in the true non-professional pursuit of a pasttime, not in a demeaning way) musician and recordist now has the means to unleash his art on the world.

over the years -- and i first started doing home recording in the early 80's, with ping-ponging cassette decks -- i've done a lot of stupid things and made an embarrassingly large number of idiotic purchases. any advice i give is to prevent others from doing the same.

regarding the specific samson mic in question, i've not used it, so i can't definitively say it's pants. that's why i asked for a clip of it in action. if you post one of your songs, and the vocals are stellar, then you can recommend it from a strong position, and i'll ****.

kernow -- thanks for filling in the gaps.

19. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

or at least try and not come across as so condescending

20. jamesbennington macrumors newbie

Super

Well ain't this fun, we're all here trying to help some guy make the right choice on his mic...I've been using the mic for a while and somehow because I don't know the technical lingo my advice is no good? I'll admit the mic is noisy and that is noise the mic generates itself...I don't know how to get rid of that noise or if it even possible...I only made a condescending remark to Mr. Zim in response to his remark to me. I do in fact have enough experience to render an opinion about the quality of a piece of equipment as I am in fact an amatuer musician and recorder and yes I do have some formal education in the matter. As for proving it...I can't say as I have any sound bites that prove anything I'm saying. However, opinions are simply opinions and in my opinion this mic will get somebody started without breaking the bank and in my opinion a sock over the mic will act as a barrier to ambient noise and will not affect the sound quality of recordings. If anyone who has the mic cares to disagree with me I will certainly argue the merits of this mic with them, but until you've tried it shut your mouth!

21. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

I was agreeing with your statement, and my comment was about Zim...not you.

But Zim's advice on here is generally spot on...

22. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

well, that's the "walk the walk" part.

23. e-clipse macrumors 6502

e-clipse

24. jamesbennington macrumors newbie

quigleyBC, my comment was in no way directed towards you. My issue is with Zim and Zim alone, I'm sorry for any confusion. I'm really just an ignorant bugger trying to stir the pot a bit. I just can't be talked down to like I was by Mr.Zim so I'm giving him a piece of my mind. As for everyone else...I'm sorry if I piss you off in the process, but someone needs to help Zim realize that while he is indeed educated and very knowledgable indeed...his knowledge does in fact have limits and those limits are for starters telling people they are wrong about equipment they have and he hasn't even used. My advice to Zim is to go borrow one or buy one and then come talk. I'm sure he will realize the things I've said about the mic are in fact true.

25. jamesbennington macrumors newbie

Apology anyone?

You know what e-clipse, you are right...I'm sorry Zim. This all started because I decided to try and help bowens with his choice so from now on I won't try to help anyone, I'll just come and ask for advice from people who know what they are talking about...like yourself. If this sounds sarcastic it is not meant to be. As a gesture of good faith maybe you can tell me if there is any way that noise we've been arguing about all day can be reduced within a recording program or if it is simply a matter of getting a better mic?