USB mouse and keyboard problem!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by markjones05, Apr 25, 2003.

1. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Ok so i actually shutdown my G4 for the first time in a month or so last night. I wake up and turn her on, and mmy keyboard and mouse are not responding. I made sure all the connections were secure but still nothing. I restarted and tried it again.....nothing. So I pulled out the usb cord above it which is the cord to my printer, and they magically work again! But if I put the cord back they stop responding. What the hell is going on here?? I only have to usb ports in the back and now I can only use one? It had never done anything wierd like this the entire time i had my printer hooked up untill now. Also another thing, it is only the printer cable that does this. I tried plugging a mouse into the back and it didnt effect my keyboard at all I had two mice running at the same time because my other mouse is plugged into my keyboard. WTF is going on here?

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I had a similiar problem, sometimes when i wake my TiBook up the attached keyboard and mouse are unresponsive. This has only happened since the 10.2.5 update. Unplugging the usb cord and immediately plugging it back in fixes the problem, but is most inconvient. Also I have noticed that my logitech mouse acts the same (i.e. unresponsive after a period of sleep, then with an unplug and replug is fine) when plugged in to a usb hub. Doesn't happen at all when plugged in to the computer, or the apple pro keyboard directly. Oddly enough this only happens with my logitech wireless mouse, and not the stardard logitech mouse. The mouse problem has happened since I got the computer (it shipped with 10.2.2). I have heard that 10.2.6 will fix a problem with usb hubs. Hopefully this will fix the problem. Did you recently update to 10.2.5? Anyone else notice anything similar?

3. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

I updated to 10.2.5 when everyone else did. I dont know why an update would cause such a problem thats just stupid, I thought updates were supposed to fix problems not create new ones. However I dont think that i have the same problem as you because for some reason unplugging it doesnt solve it. I actually have to unplug the adjacent usb port and keep it unplugged for my other usb hookup to work. But thats only with my printer cable.... anything else and it works fine, I think. Its definately the quirkiest, wierdest problem I've ever seen.