USB Mouse/Kybd lock up

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sharkbait, May 18, 2005.

1. sharkbait macrumors newbie

Apr 28, 2005
    I think this is the correct forum for this post as I'm beginning to be convinced that this is an OS X issue. I'm using a Logitech Navigator Wireless USB mouse and keyboard plugged directly into a USB port on my Mac Mini. I am a new switcher and VERY happy about it, so unfortunately I do not have pre-Tiger analysis of this problem.

I am experiencing Mouse and Keyboard lock-ups or freezes about once a day which usually can be solved by unplugging and replugging the USB wireless receiver. I have the latest logitech driver which support 10.4 and have repaired permissions. Have read around the web that users have been experiening this for years. Annoying to say the least, and this is the only real problem I've had with Tiger.

Is this an OS problem or should I blame my kybd/mouse, which I really like to use?

Any recommendations?
  2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    I'm betting that your keyboard isn't locked up (or out), that the problem is with the wireless USB mouse. I've had this problem with every wireless USB mouse I've owned, on both Windows and Mac. They disconnect randomly. Sometimes they can be reset with the reset button on the mouse or keyboard.
  3. bankshot macrumors 65816

Jan 23, 2003
    Southern California
    I was having exactly the same problem in Tiger - mouse would freeze up periodically, and unplugging/plugging back in would solve it. Also happened once or twice with the keyboard. In my case, I have an Apple keyboard and a simple Logitech corded 2-button + scroll mouse. Fully clean install of Tiger, no third party drivers installed. This never happened in Panther on the same machine.

That said, I was having much more serious issues with USB, as the whole machine was crashing every 2 days in the USB driver. I finally got fed up last night and reverted back to Panther, where I never had this problem. Thankfully it was a simple task, as I'd installed Tiger on a separate disk, so Panther was still waiting and ready to boot. If/when a new Tiger update supposedly fixes this, I'll go back.

Based on my experience, I'd call it a software problem with Tiger - just one of the many, many bugs it still has.
  4. sharkbait thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 28, 2005
    Yes, the keyboard always locks up when the mouse does, they both communicate through the same USB transeiver. It's a logitech product. Never had any problems with dropouts.

Well my mini showed up with Panther installed and included a Tiger upgrade, which I did first thing, then added my Logitech driver that allows use of special keys, etc.

I didn't do a clean install of Tiger though because I didn't know how to avoid wiping out all of the added s/w like iLife, etc. Could that have contributed to the USB problem?