USB Network Adapter?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by benwa02, Apr 5, 2005.

1. benwa02 macrumors 6502

Dec 6, 2004
    I need to get a wireless network card for my PC and I am looking for the cheap way out. I have seen these for as low as 9.99 but this was the first one I found to show.

Has anyone used one of these before? Do they work good? Distance from the base?

2. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Dec 10, 2002
    I don't know about PCs, but the USB adapter (Belkin, I think) I got for one of my G4s was terrible. The software was glitchy and weird. Worse yet, it would routinely cause the system to crash hard. Again, that experience was on a Mac.

Still, USB interfaces use the CPU. For small peripherals that is fine, but I wouldn't bog my computer down with stuff like a network adapter if I didn't have to.
  3. strider42 macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002
    I'd say for a PC, it would be fine. But if you might want to use it with a mac, an ethernet based adaptor is much better (and more expensive) as theya re OS independent and require no drivers. USB adaptors have very poor to non existent mac support.

My roommate uses a similar looking USB adaptor on her PC adaptor and it seems to work just fine.
  4. benwa02 thread starter macrumors 6502

Dec 6, 2004
    I guess I will just go with a cheap PCI card for the PC. Do you think a cheap one wouldnt get good distance? I need this to reach from one level down and on the other side of the house.
  5. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Jan 27, 2005
    If it doesn't work you can always try one of these:

Do make sure you can attach an external antenna to the card.