USB not recognized via Startup

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Gymnut, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Okay here's my problem. For the entire time I've owned this computer (Dual 1Ghz MDD) I've had problems with it not recognizing certain USB devices upon startup/restart. I've got a 7 port Belkin USB hub plugged into the back of the CPU and I've got the Microsoft wireless keyboard's receiver plugged into the back of the Apple 17" LCD. Plugged into the back of the hub is the receiver for my Microsoft Intellimouse. In addition, plugged back into the back of the CPU is my griffin Powermate. Upon startup, the powermate glows brightly but does not function. Only by unplugging and replugging the USB cable is it able to spring to life. My Microsoft Intellimouse is fine on startup, thank god and such is the keyboard, to a point that is. On top of the keyboard there are various hot keys such as volume keys, etc. Oddly enough the basic keyboard layout works perfectly, it's just that I cannot control the volume utilising the keys on the keyboard unless I unplug and replug the receiver in the back of the display. For about a year this hasn't bothered me but it's getting a little old having to unplug and replug in your various USB devices everytime you startup/restart. In addition, the same thing happens to my Nostromo game keypad which has to be solved in the same manner as the above. I'm wondering if anyone else has the same problems with any of the above devices and/or has a solution. The drivers are up to date so this has baffled me although it's not the end of the world for me if there is no viable solution. Such is life, eh? ;)

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's probably that the combination is too much for the USB ports and hub. I've had similar problems with various devices.

My solution was to buy a USB 2.0 PCI card and to plug the various sensitive devices into it. I haven't had to play with it since then. Also, now that I have a USB 2.0 device and Panther, the system takes advantage of the higher speed.

3. Gymnut thread starter macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Ah so what you're saying is that the USB bus is overtaxed? I might just look into getting a USB 2.0 card then.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yes. I have powered Belkin USB 1.1 hubs and they don't seem to help. It's been a problem since I first got my blue and white G3 but hasn't changed with my dual G4/800.

The Adaptec cards comes in various versions and I've seen a lot of instant and mail-in rebates lately for them.