USB or Firewire

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by xli_ne, May 14, 2005.

1. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

Looking to get an external HDD, but not quite sure to get a usb 2.0 or a firewire drive. What are some of the opinions of the forum? :)

2. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Firewire
    It is better for transferring large/more files.
    USB 2 is faster when it comes to smaller bursts of data.

3. gMac macrumors member

I'm considering an external HDD in order to clone my iMac's hard drive before installing Tiger. Based on the advice of others, I think I am going to get one that uses both USB 2.0, FireWire 400, and maybe FireWire 800.

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10024

This way it won't become obsolete as soon.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Firewire absolutely.
    I benchmarked the same drive on my Mini -- Firwire 400 was double the speed of the USB 2.0

5. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

It's a common misconception that USB 2 is the same speed as Firewire 400, this is absolutely not true for continuous data transfer.
    USB 2 can only achieve 411kbps for short bursts. Firewire is the absolute best for sustained data transfer.
    This is why it is such a shame that Apple decided to take the firewire cable out of the iPod package and only supply the USB 2 cable. They have effectively doubled the time it takes to fill your iPod if you have a Firewire 400 enabled Mac or PC.

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Agreed. I expect another part of the rationale (aside from cost) was the argument that most iPod users should only need to transfer their entire library once and probably wouldn't notice the difference when just adding a couple of albums. So the time increase would be a one-off performance hit.

7. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

What they forgot is some people like to optimize their iPod from time to time and completely erase and restore them and then put music back on, or fixing them if they break! :eek:
    Curse you apple! All i hope is they don't change the connection on the bottom - as long as they don't I'm using the FW cables I have for any future iPod purchases.

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

With all the 3rd party attachments depending on it, including the links with the car manufacturers etc, here's hoping that it will remain the same for a while.

9. itsbetteronamac macrumors regular

All i can say is that there really isn't any advantage of USB over firewire. So, why not just go with firewire. Also, like people said, firewire has a higher sustained data rate. Also there is a variety or devices that are able to run off of a firewire connection alone, and do no need a power adapter. You will rarely if ever find a USB hard drive that can do this.

10. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

Actually, just thought of a better reason for getting the Firewire drive.

You can boot from a Firewire drive if you make a bootable backup. You can't boot from a USB drive.

11. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Apple took out the FW cables to save them a few pennies. Lets face it, by doing so, they could make people who want the cable go out and buy it for what is it, 20 dollars?