Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Royal'sUN

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
I have owned a Dual 2GHz 64 bit Power PC since 2004. In that time, it has performed virtually flawlessly. Now, all of a sudden, I'll be working away and a warning window with a large white exclamation mark in a red octagon pops-up stating: “USB over current Notice. A USB device is currently drawing too much power. The port to which it is attached will be deactivated.” The window repeats itself cascading down 3, 4 or 5 times. This will continue to happen even when I’ve disconnected the only 2 USB devices attached to the computer, i.e., an Apple keyboard and a Kensington Expert Mouse (#K64325). Can anyone shed some light on this problem. It is very disconcerting (not to mention annoying). Does anyone have a solution for me (other than “junk the old beast”)? The fact is it still works great for both Final Cut and ProTools.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I have owned a Dual 2GHz 64 bit Power PC since 2004. In that time, it has performed virtually flawlessly. Now, all of a sudden, I'll be working away and a warning window with a large white exclamation mark in a red octagon pops-up stating: “USB over current Notice. A USB device is currently drawing too much power. The port to which it is attached will be deactivated.” The window repeats itself cascading down 3, 4 or 5 times. This will continue to happen even when I’ve disconnected the only 2 USB devices attached to the computer, i.e., an Apple keyboard and a Kensington Expert Mouse (#K64325). Can anyone shed some light on this problem. It is very disconcerting (not to mention annoying). Does anyone have a solution for me (other than “junk the old beast”)? The fact is it still works great for both Final Cut and ProTools.

Try connecting the Mouse to the keyboard, not the PM. This has happened to me before but cannot remember what device was causing it to happen. Reset PMU of course.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.