USB PCI card problems (Type 11 error on startup)

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by barkmonster, Nov 21, 2002.

1. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

The card I bought has these specs :

Features

32-Bits. 33Mhz PCI interface compliant with PCI Local Bus Specification Revision 2.2

Four Downstream USB Ports

Each USB port dedicated to providing Full Band-Width to the attached device

Full Compliance with Universal Serial Bus Specification Revision 1.1

Integrated Dual-speed USB Tranceivers

Support for up to 127 devices per port

Supports Peripheral Hot Swap and Wake-up

System Requirements

Mac or IBM PC with one free PCI slot
    Windows98SE/ME/2000 & Mac OS 8.6 or higher

I've tried it in all 3 PCI slots, everytime it bombed with an error 11 on start up, even after zapping the PRAM after every slot change.

I tried it with no other PCI cards aswell and it still bombed before the first extension tries to load.

I've also removed my audiomedia III card from slot 2 and tested it all the slots individually to check if the slots are to blame, all 3 slots pass in Digitest.

Any idea what could be causing this ?

I wouldn't want to totally write off the card at the first sign of problems, It's listed as mac compatable and I've already installed the latest USB Card drivers this morning before I bought the card, they caused no issues when there was no USB card to find and they also appear to load last in the extension que at start up.

I suppose it could be that card is some OEM brand I've never heard of and cost half what a 2 port card from Belkin or other well known makes but it says mac compatable and has the mac os logo on the packaging and documentation that came with card.

I know to get a 4 port card for about 2 3rds the price of a 2 port "branded" card is maybe too good to be true but this is kind of a wierd problem I can't solve with software updates or extension manager.

My Mac's specs :

Beige G3, 300Mhz 512K L2, Rev A mobo with ATI Rage II+ (6Mb Vram), 320Mb RAM, OS 9.2.1 and an audiomedia III sound card.

2. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

Guess you have installed Apple USB Card Support 1.4.1?

If you have, the card is probably faulty. Deliver it back to the shop as a DOA, and get a new one. If you can get one from Kensington, then buy it. Most cheap USB cards are faulty...

Sh*t sells for less

3. barkmonster thread starter macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Thought so, It was SERIOUSLY cheap, even down to the packaging.

I've yet to see if the drivers are to blame because it doesn't get past the first extension. I also installed the latest USB drivers from apple's site hours before I even bought the card itself.

Ever thought of selling that as marketing slogan to Tiny or Dell ?

:D

4. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

Apple USB Card Support 1.4.1 is the right version and the right drivers for any USB PCI-card. If the problems started the second you put the card in, you know what's causing the error... A USB PCI-card should not cause any error, even if you forget to install the USB software from Apple (it simply will not work until the drivers are installed).

I recommend a USB PCI-card from Kensington or iXpand (the latter is cheaper, but works as expected)

If I should ever work for one of the mentioned companies..... YESSS!!!! :p :D

5. barkmonster thread starter macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Thanks for all the info, I've managed to get a refund on the card and I think I'll get a USB card from a mac dealer instead. No point in saving a few pounds if it's just going to cause compatability problems.