USB port determination

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CommonMan, Nov 13, 2006.

1. CommonMan macrumors regular

CommonMan

I looked under "About this Mac" to try and determine whether I had USB 2.0 ports or the older one. Does anyone know from the information below that I pulled up, what type of usb ports I have? Since this is an older MAC it may have the older USB ports

USB Bus:

Vendor Name: Apple Computer, Inc.
    Product ID: 32773 ($8005)
    Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
    Bus Power (mA): 500

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

3. therevolution macrumors 6502

FYI, you can tell by the 12Mb/sec speed rating. If they were USB2, it would say 480Mb/sec.

4. CommonMan thread starter macrumors regular

CommonMan

Thanks

WC and Therev:

Thanks, thats what the kids at the place that sold it to me said but I was hoping that some how they were wrong. I bought a usb PCI card which has two 2.0 USB ports for a PC I had. I wonder if it will work in the Mac. I guess it depends on the number of pins and all that.

I'd like to upgrade to USB 2.0 but I don't want to put any more money into this computer.

I'm using the usb ports on the monitor for our iPods and they seem to work fine. I'm wondering also if the "about this computer" function is capturing the information about these USB ports (on the monitor). The reason I am asking is that the Monitor may not be the same year or model as the actual computer (although it's color scheme seems to match: blue and white).

Any comments or advise would be appreciated.

Also, I'm wondering how far I am away from being able to use an avatar.

Well, I'm doing exactly what I said I was not going to do today and that is get distracted from my work...so back to work I go.

5. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

If the PCI card is AMC compatible than it should work in you computer no problem. More info on the card would help.

6. CommonMan thread starter macrumors regular

CommonMan

PC Card

I'll need a little time to check out the usb card. I'll have to open up the pc into which it is intalled. I won't have time to do that for a few days.