USB port, drawing too much power on MacBook.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bwyan, Oct 2, 2006.

1. bwyan macrumors newbie

Oct 2, 2006
    Reykjavík, Iceland
    Hello everyone.
    This is my first post on the forums, although I'm planning on looking around in here once in a while, to see what people are posting.

For starters, I just wanted to tell you about this little problem I've been having with my MacBook 1,83GHz.

Sitting at my desk at work one morning, peacefully drinking my coffee, I suddenly received a rather discomforting error-message from my shiny new (about 1 month old) MacBook;

"A USB devise is currently drawing too much power and the port will be deactivated.".

This lead to, as the error message oh so clearly states, that I were unable to use one of the USB-ports. It also blessed my MacBook with the inability to go into "sleep-mode", because of the short-circuit constantly drawing power through the motherboard.

Now, for one, the strange thing is that I didn't even have any USB-devices connected at the time it happened. Secondly, I never really used the USB-ports for anything inappropriate. Just regular stuff, like a mouse, an iPod cable and an external hard-drive.

Anyway, my MacBook is now in Apple's hands for them to fix and I've received word from the local Apple store, that they're going to replace the motherboard. At first, I was worried that Apple would charge me with this rather expensive service, but I guess Apple's customer support is pretty fair on that part - lucky me :)

Now, I would just like to hear if anyone else have been experiencing these problems, since I've been able to look up a few similar ones with the same error-message on google.

Thanks in advance. ;)
  2. generik macrumors 601

Aug 5, 2005
    Yours seems like a unique experience, probably a short in the USB leads or something. Thank God not all MBs are like that :p
  3. stoplight27 macrumors newbie

Jul 5, 2010
    Easy fix to USB port drawing too much power

This problem just happened to me. I have a MacBook air about one year old and USB has always worked fine. Just plugged in my iPhone to sync and it gave the error msg that it was drawing too much power and then it wouldn't work anymore.

I changed wires to a newer USB/iPhone cable and it worked perfect. Try this first before spending $$$ on repairs
  4. bijal macrumors newbie

Jul 11, 2012
    Mac book drawing too much power

Iam facing the same problem with my iphone 3gs. and it isnt charging at all...its not charging with my MAC BOOK PRO nor with a PLUG IN CHARGER. what shall i do..can someone provide me some steps on how to solve it ??
  5. Macman45 macrumors G5

Jul 29, 2011
    Somewhere Back In The Long Ago