usb port failing... what hardware component?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by QCassidy352, Oct 18, 2005.

1. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

The usb ports are failing (working erratically) on my SP 1.8 Ghz G5 tower. Does anyone know what hardware component is likely implicated here? And how expensive that component is to replace? :eek:

2. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

oooo.... thats no good. Probably needs a new logic board. :eek: (Not positive) If its not under Apple Care, the best thing to do is to get a USB 2.0 PCI card.

3. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

new logic board?? :eek: Yeah... sucks to hear it, but that's what I was afraid it was. It's not under applecare anymore. :(

4. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

Is anything else on your system acting up?

Reason I ask is that if the logic board's USB controller is malfunctioning, other devices might be as well. And if more than one device isn't working, it may by cheaper to buy a new logic board than to replace every bad component via PCI.

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

6. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Yes, the hard drive is making bad noises as well. This is the computer that was smashed as recounted in this thread. In addition to the physical damage, I'm now experiencing these performance issues.

It's both front and rear ports, but intermittently. The really strange thing is that the ports don't completely fail, most of the time. Like, I'll plug in my ipod shuffle (front port) and the computer will recognize it, but it will take 45 seconds to do so, and then 5 minutes to put one song on the shuffle. Or one port on my ACD (connected through the rear ports) will work while the other one will go out, and then they'll switch. Things like that. Clearly there's damage somewhere, but the symptoms are so weird that I don't know what to do.

7. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

here are some pictures of the damage, just for your amusement. It seems like something really heavy was dropped on it.

Attached Files:

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Hmmm.. Someone a while back was considering selling a machine like this as "works fine just dented". Guess this goes to show that the internal works may indeed have their life shortened by extenal battering.

9. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

This is a long shot, but you might take a look inside and see if anything (aside from the dents) is obviously wrong. A partially severed wire, maybe; perhaps some sort of loose connection.

I've never spent time inside a Power Mac, though, so I could be totally off.

10. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

a little update: since I reset the PRAM a few days ago, the problems have not returned. Is it possible that such a simple little action could have done it? Maybe it wasn't hardware at all?

11. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Wow man your comps are having a lot of trouble lately! Give 'em a hug for me! :)

I've never seen a G5 take that kind of damage, that must have been a fricking heavy object.

I would open her up and check the condition, and then run the Extended Hardware Test.

12. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Yeah, they are. :-/ Kinda annoying, but what can I do.

One repair guy I talked to suggested that they lowered a forklift blade on it. That would do it.

Unfortunately, I can't do the hardware test because I got this second hand and the original owner had lost the hardware test cd! :-o