USB port on Airport Extreme Base Station

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by sandman42, Feb 2, 2004.

1. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Can this port only be used for a printer? I know that's what it's sold for, but could you hook up other USB devices and have a wireless USB connection? Could you hook up a USB hub and have wireless connection to all your USB devices?

2. sandman42 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I guess that's a "no" then, eh?

Well, while I'm hoping for the day that's available, can anyone comment on how well the USB printer port on the base station works? It would still be pretty handy for me, as I have an iBook and I'd like to be able to print without having to run to the printer and plugging in the computer.

3. robotrenegade macrumors 6502a

Works great!! Prints fine. The only bad thing is you can't run the Printer Utilities.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Wireless USB printing is awesome! The printer is the one peripheral I use more than any other, and as such, it's very nice to not have to get up off the couch and plug in the printer just to print something. As was stated before, you can't run the printer utilities, but you can always plug it into the computer directly if you need to. I find it convienent to use a short USB A to B connector off the printer, then a longer (no more than 16' total though) cable connected to the AE so I can easily unhook the printer from the AE if I need to. (My AE is mounted on the wall so it is difficult to get to the plugs). If you are an all-laptop house like I am the AE beats the heck out of using another machine as a print share.