Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robrose20

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Can you attach a USB hard drive to the USB port to add extra storage to Apple TV? Thanks.

pjac

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Then what is the point of the USB port?
Why to let us speculate about all the cool stuff Apple could offer the in future via a software update of course ;) Like connecting a (video) iPod to it, or even just a keyboard to make searching YouTube easier.

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
I think it was meant for connecting an iPod dock to, but somewhere along the line someone either nixed that idea or it simply hasn't been rolled out yet.

Perhaps the delays in Leopard and launch of the iPhone sucked a lot of OS resources from non-critical products like the AppleTV.

I'd like to see a lot of general updates to AppleTV (seeing my own videos on YouTube, searching by categories/tags/subscriptions), but that and $.50 will get you a can of soda, and that's about it.

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
Can you attach a USB hard drive to the USB port to add extra storage to Apple TV? Thanks.

According to Apple it is for diagnostics only, see;

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304987

There are several "hacks" to do bits and pieces by activating the USB port (default locked via firmware) , though I don't think yet you anyone has been able to extend storage capacity. (Given the likely illegality of the hacks you’ll need to look else-where if you wish to try.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.