USB Ports on Wii?

Discussion in 'Games' started by j26, Jan 2, 2007.

1. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Anyone know what they're for?

I've been doing a little research on the Wii and the 360 to see which would suit me best (Wii is a clear winner so far for me), and I see these 2 usb ports on the back of the Wii, but no info what they're for. I presume a keyboard and mouse for internet use, but could it be used for flash drives or even possibly an external hd?

Anyone?

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Nothing but speculation so far. It's possible you could use a keyboard and mouse, whether or not Nintendo add support is another matter (though with that Wii Linux thing will probably have keyboard support, it's even possible it could connect to a BlueTooth keyboard). External HDD support too? Nintendo don't have their own memory cards this time round so it wouldn't harm them to release an update to support external drives.

I think the LAN adapter uses 1 USB port.

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

For now, they do nothing...however Nintendo has called about being able to save to externel harddrive and/or memory sticks.

I think that this would be a GREAT idea, as most people have either a flash drive, hard drive or SD card.

Edit-And Ethernet add on

4. j26 thread starter macrumors 65832

j26

That Wii Linux sounds interesting. It'd be nice to be able to stack my movies on a hd and play them through the Wii. I don't have a dvd player attached to the tv where I'll be using it, and don't really fancy lugging one from room to room every time I fancy watching a dvd in the other room (I use the MacBook or iPod at present).

Edit: Now to try to get my hands on one of the shagging things.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Uses for the Wii's USB Ports:
    1) Wired LAN Adapter
    2) External HD
    3) USB Controllers
    --- Apparently, you can buy USB to NES or SNES controller adapters for Classic Games.
    4) Anything that uses USB for charging
    --- iPod
    --- Cell Phone
    --- Nintendo DS

TEG

6. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Probably a coincidence, but I plugged a mouse into my Wii after reading this topic, started clicking away in Opera and it froze. :)

<]=)

7. subwarm macrumors member

subwarm

You lost me here, where is the USB port on my Nintendo DS and how did I not notice it before?

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You can get DS-USB chargers, just like certain phones and iPods. plugs into the power port on the DS and USB on the computer/plug socket.

9. subwarm macrumors member

subwarm

Do you know where I can pick one up for the DS by any chance?

10. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Have a look on eBay loads available dirt cheap,

ShadoW

11. kaylee macrumors regular

kaylee

Or somewhere like play-asia ( DS Lite USB Charge Cable or DS / GBA SP USB Charge Cable ), or even in a physical store like EB (I have occasionally seen them in local EB stores)

12. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

I used my Wii to charge my iPod the other day.

I noticed that the iPod indicated that it had been mounted, so I think it would be more than reasonable to assume that a hard drive could be on the way. Hopefully a hard drive would be better than the SD Cards, which have very limited support in the current firmware.