USB powered speakers?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tymmz, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

I wonder if anyone can suggest good USB powered speakers for my PB.

I got myself the Sony SRS-T10PC. They are alright and very, very portable, but I would like to know if anyone has some really amazing speakers, which also look good, to recommend.

2. Tymmz thread starter macrumors 65816

Tymmz

Sorry,

wanted to bring this thread back up.

Because I just realized how much those little speakers lack in sound-quality. No bass at all.

cheers

3. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

There's not that much you can do on 5V and the current that USB ports provide. Any USB-powered speaker is going to be weedy. If you want decent sounding and self-powered, you'll need to look at bigger speakers which take those large C/D size batteries. Otherwise it's AC power.

4. Tymmz thread starter macrumors 65816

Tymmz

Thanks. Didn't know about that 5V stuff.

5. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Logitech does a good job with their V20 Notebook Speakers. I have them. They rock ;)

6. DocMacPS macrumors newbie

DocMacPS

Some Really Good USB Speakers vs Some Lousy Ones

There's actually a nice selection of small portable USB powered computer speakers out there. Some sound really, really good! The best do both digital USB audio AND get power over one USB cable. Some of the better laptop choices are featured here: http://www.usb-computer-speakers.com/ - I've had a little stereo 2.1 Triton SoundBite one-piece USB speaker for years that sounds fantastic for its size - very portable and packs a punch! That was a purchase I've never regretted. (Unlike far too many computer speakers and gizmos in the past...) Also, Logitech's V20 2-piece USB speakers gets absolute rave reviews - by the people who bought them - so that's a good indicator

Beware, especially on the cheap end, those that aren't 'real' USB speakers; they might have both a USB cable ONLY for power AND another separate 1/8" analog audio cable for the actual sound part - so you end up with twice as many wires unecessarily.

(FYI: USB 2.0 isn't needed for stereo digital audio, even 1.x USB port speeds are fine)