USB printer via airport - impossible with VPN?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by babbler, Mar 5, 2007.

1. babbler macrumors member

I am connecting to the net via an airport. I need to run a Cisco VPN to connect to my remote office, I essentially need the VPN continually on.

I have a USB printer connected to the airport for wireless printing. I cannot print, or see the printer, while the VPN is up. If I stop the VPN then printing is OK.

This is a real pain, is there someway to set the airport so that I can print while the VPN is on?

Thanks

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Did you configure the client, or did it arrive preconfigured by your IT?

3. babbler thread starter macrumors member

It was preconfigured by our IT. There is an option to 'allow local lan access' which I have ticked - it made no difference. Otherwise I have no control over the VPN client, but I can of course configure the airport.

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

It's quite possible that the rules set down by IT are overriding your choices. I'd suggest talking to them first.

5. PilotWoo macrumors regular

When you VPN client connects, it disables all other local network adapters, to ensure you cannot connect to any other network. You can tick "allow local lan access", but this will be overridden by the VPN server policy.

You have two choices;

1) attach the printer via USB when you use VPN.
    2) disconnect from the VPN every time you wish to print.

6. babbler thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. At least I can now stop stressing about it!

7. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

As I said, talk to IT. It should be possible for them to grant you access to local network resources, although it depends on their security policy.