USB Radio Tuner

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mrgreen4242, Jun 20, 2005.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

All this talk of Podcasting in iTunes 4.9 has got me thinking about a project I wanted to start last year, but never got around to... I'd like to record various radio programs (pretty much NPR shows, with an occastional sporting event - of the NHL ever come back!) and time shift them onto my iPod. I know there are a coupld NPR shows that are offering free Podcasts, but a lot aren't and I don't see them starting soon.

I have an iMac G5 and so would need a USB radio tuner. I'd like something that was cheap (under $40, preferably around $20-25) and either comes with software, or works with free software, that can automatically tune to a particular station at a given time on given days, record in realtime to a preset format/bitrate (preferably AAC), and give the resulting file a usable name and meta-data based on the recording setup information (so fill in the name/'artist' info based on the recording setup and then fill in the date and time based on the current clock).

2. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

I had a DLink one a couple years ago that would do all that, but it was PC only. I've since gotten rid of it, around here reception was poor on it anyway.

3. RJP31484 macrumors regular

SOunds like you need the Griffin radioshark , though it is 69.99 retail. perhaps you can find it cheaper on ebay or amazon or some other source.