USB Speakers?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SLCentral, May 1, 2005.

1. SLCentral macrumors regular

Hey guys,

Finally getting settled with my new Powerbook + 30" ACD setup, but I'm looking for some nice looking speakers to go with the setup. I haven't seen any that are USB, but that would be perfect, as that way they could connect directly to the monitor. Since I tend to put my Powerbook on the floor (since the cable doesn't quite reach the way I would like it to), connecting a audio port to my PowerBook would look messy at best; something I'd like to avoid.

They don't need to be the best-sounding, but I would like them to look good and play decent music (mainly acoustic guitar). Any luck in this?

2. dvdh macrumors 6502

dvdh

One way around would be to use a Griffin iMic (about $35), (essentially an external USB soundcard) It has a mini-jack in/out and has comparable sound quality to the built-in jacks on the *books. You could hook up pretty much any amplified media speakers to this.

iMic

[​IMG]

3. wide macrumors 6502a

the soundsticks I are USB speakers. i might sell mine to you, if you are interested. the sound great and have great bass. i wouldn't recommend any USB speakers though. I'd get an extension 1/8 inch cord/jack and run that from your powerbook into a set of speakers (like the SoundSticks II -- same thing, pretty much, except an audio jack in place of the usb cord).

be careful not to step on your powerbook, too. i've sat on my inspiron accidentally, and luckily it did not break b/c it's bendy plastic, but powerbooks are another story.

4. SLCentral thread starter macrumors regular

Soundstick's are a good idea. Lot of cables involved in those? I'm really trying to avoid cables, as I really can't stand them, and since my desk is glass, and the backside is revelead (not against a wall), cables wouldn't look too nice. How much were you looking for them?

Thanks for the tip, though I put my Powerbook under the corner of my L-Desk, so I don't think theres any chance of damage :D.

5. iGary Guest

iGary

Soundsticks rock.

One cable off of each "stick," and one USB cable.

I managed to hide mine very nicely. :D

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Another thought is floor = carpet = overheating. Make sure the 'book is on a hard surface.

Fellow in my town kept his Powerbook in a desk drawer, while on. No ventillation of course. Opened the drawer one day and the Powerbook was on fire. Next day Apple announced the TiBook battery recall.

7. SLCentral thread starter macrumors regular

Oh damn, I didn't even think of that one. Thanks for the tip.

8. DickArmAndHarT macrumors 6502

LMAO thats great
    I dont like the soundsticks, not for sounds but for the puny ugly look.
    ive been researching lately and fell inlove with altec lansing fx0210 (something) silver 2.1
    great looking, sounding, and usb is to clean for most and audio in speakers are smoother

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

FWIW hopefully your PB will not start on fire, unless you're using a battery that's on the new recall list! :eek: It definitely does run hotter if you're on a soft surface, but I would guess that if you're below the temp at which the fan spins up, it's probably not a huge deal....

10. DocMacPS macrumors newbie

DocMacPS

Quite a few USB speaker options these days

This is an old thread, but things have changed a lot in the USB digital audio speaker market since 2005. From very high-quality AC powered 2.1 stereo desktop units to ultra compact portable one piece units, with one USB cable for providing both power AND sound. Some of the best are featured at: www.usb-computer-speakers.com - There's also some interesting units that combine a USB hub to consolidate the rats-nest of wires we live with, or have USB and Analog audio input jacks for pro sound recording options.